Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A GOD WHO LISTENS AND RESPONDS

Can I pray for you in any way? Send any prayer requests to faithhopegodlove@aol.com In Christ, Mark

The scriptures. May God bless the reading of His holy word.

I call to the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies.

The waves of death swirled about me; the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me.
The cords of the grave coiled around me; the snares of death confronted me.

In my distress I called to the Lord; I called out to my God.

From His temple He heard my voice; my cry came to His ears.

2 Samuel 22:4-7

This ends this reading from God's holy word. Thanks be to God.

Have you ever been in a time of trouble?

I think we all can say we have.

OK…so how did you handle it?

As we continue to look at David’s wonderful song of praise…a song that became the 18th Psalm…we see how he handled difficult challenges in his own life and how his words can help us do likewise.

We first need to look at what David was facing. Through his words and the scriptures that support them, we see that David was dealing with the prospect of death. He had been in many battles and could have been killed in any one of them. He also had to pursue the murderous intentions of Saul and his own son Absalom.

Indeed, David had seen the “waves of death” swirl around him, the “cords of the grave” coil around him and “the snares of death” try to entrap him. Every assault threatened to overwhelm him by each respective “torrent of destruction”. And yet, David survived it all.

Maybe you might not be dealing with death but I bet you might be dealing with any of a number of other problems in your life. For what about financial difficulties…health problems or afflictions…troubled or broken relationships…temptations or addictions? Don’t any or all of these take us to a place where we find ourselves in distress?

So how did David handle his distress? For if we see how he made it, we can gain valuable insight as to how we can make it as well.

Let’s go back to the scripture for today.

There we see these words from David:

“In my distress, I called to the Lord; I called out to my God. From His temple, He heard my voice; my cry came to His ears.”

Friends, that’s it. We need not make it hard. When David was in trouble, he called to the Lord and his cry did not fall on closed ears. No…the Lord, in His heavenly temple, heard David’s voice when his plea came to His ears. And with that plea, the Lord, who David tells us is “worthy of praise”, saved him from his enemies…because that’s what the Lord. He saves us in times of need.

Are you in trouble in any way today? Is anything in life taking away your joy and oppressing your faith and hope?

If so, I ask you to pray this prayer to the Lord…not just today but any day you’re in need:

Dear Lord,

I call to you this moment because I know and trust that You are always there for me, ready to listen to my cries for help…and ever ready to help me through my difficulties in accordance with Your will for me.

And so Father, I ask you to help me in dealing with (fill in the blank with your particular situation). I surrender myself to Your will on this matter, O God, and know You will help rescue me from my trial because You are a God who listens to His children when they call…a God who saves…and a God who delivers…not just some days, but every day.

For all this and so much more, I just want to thank You Lord and sing praise to Your Holy Name because You and You alone are worthy of all my praise…now and forever. Amen.

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it.

http://www.faithhopeandlove.info/

Send any prayer requests to faithhopegodlove@aol.com

No comments: