Saturday, March 14, 2009

ALLOWING GOD TO SPEAK THROUGH YOU

NOTE: To all my readers…I am currently in Kuwait and am awaiting my flight to my new assignment. Please bear with me during this trip as I adjust to new time zones and surroundings. I am currently 7 hours ahead of EST but intend to continue writing every day while sharing the words the Lord places on my heart. Please keep Grace and I in prayer as we endure yet another separation…our final one before I retire. God bless all of you and thanks for your faithful readership and comments. In Christ, Mark

Can I pray for you in any way? Send any prayer requests to faithhopegodlove@aol.com In Christ, Mark

The scriptures. May God bless the reading of His holy word.

These are the last words of David: The oracle of David son of Jesse, the oracle of the man exalted by the Most High, the man anointed by the God of Jacob, Israel's singer of songs:

“The Spirit of the Lord spoke through me; His word was on my tongue. The God of Israel spoke,
the Rock of Israel said to me: 'When one rules over men in righteousness, when he rules in the fear of God, he is like the light of morning at sunrise on a cloudless morning, like the brightness after rain that brings the grass from the earth.' “

"Is not my house right with God? Has he not made with me an everlasting covenant, arranged and secured in every part? Will he not bring to fruition my salvation and grant me my every desire? “

“But evil men are all to be cast aside like thorns, which are not gathered with the hand. Whoever touches thorns uses a tool of iron or the shaft of a spear; they are burned up where they lie."

2 Samuel 23:1-7

This ends this reading from God's holy word. Thanks be to God.

As Chapter 23 opens, we read a short passage that begins with “the last words of David”. We might be led to think that this is the last time we will see David speak in the scriptures but we would be mistaken if we assumed this. For before his death, we will find David speaking several more times.

Perhaps what the writer meant was that this would be David’s last proclamation…the last time he would give an address.

So what does David say in this distinguished section?

He gives importance guidance for anyone who might be called to a position of leadership.

But before that, he does two things:

1. He tells his readers a little bit about him…that he is the son of Jesse…that he is a man exalted by the Most High (more on that in a minute)…that he is a man anointed by God…and that he is a singer of Psalms.

and more importantly…

2. He tells his readers that the “Spirit of the Lord”…the ”God of Israel”…the “Rock of Israel” was speaking through him, placing the words on his tongue.

So what was the Lord’s message?

David shared the following:

“When one rules over men in righteousness, when he rules in the fear of God, he is like the light of morning at sunrise on a cloudless morning, like the brightness after rain that brings the grass from the earth.' “

In this message on leadership, the Lord uses a classic cause and effect statement. For whenever a leader rules in righteousness…and just not doing what he or she thinks is right but what God requires…then he or she becomes a blessing to their people, leading them in a way that is akin to “the light of morning at sunrise on a cloudless morning” or “like the brightness after rain that brings the grass from the earth.” In other words, a God-fearing, righteous-conscious leader promotes growth and prosperity in those they lead.

So what is the benefit of one who leads in this way?

Well, David sees the benefit in the way the Lord has watched over him and his household saying:

“Is not my house right with God? Has he not made with me an everlasting covenant, arranged and secured in every part? Will he not bring to fruition my salvation and grant me my every desire? “

While David attempted to lead Israel in the way the Lord desired, the Lord took care of leading him and his family. Conversely, those who choose to adopt evil ways over righteousness will only experience judgment…”cast aside like thorns” and “burned up where they lie."

And so we see in David’s last message, an important note on leadership. But, as stated before as being more important, we see David allowing the Lord to speak this important note through him. David allows himself to be used as a mouthpiece for God to speak through.

How often does this happen to you? How often do you feel God speaking a message through you to others?

I think you know by now that it happens each and every day to me as I sit to write from the scriptures. You’ve heard me write time and time again that my words are not my own but the words of the Lord…and accordingly, He and He alone is to receive all the praise and glory for the way these words touch the hearts and minds of those who read them. And I can tell you that the true blessing for me each and every day is to be used by the Lord in such special ways to make a difference in the lives of others.

The good news is that the Lord is willing, able and ready to speak through anyone at anytime. All we need to do is stand ever ready to receive His Spirit…and in doing so, receive His words on our tongue…just as David did…before sharing them with those he wants to speak to.

Friends, there’s no greater sense of purpose then when you are being used as an instrument of ministry by the Living God. Won’t you allow Him to speak in and through you today?

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it.

http://www.faithhopeandlove.info/

Send any prayer requests to faithhopegodlove@aol.com

No comments: