Monday, January 18, 2016

WHEN A DREAM BECOMES A REALITY



Can I pray for you in any way? Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk@aol.com.

In Christ, Mark
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
** Follow The Christian Walk on Twitter @ThChristianWalk
** Like posts and send friend requests to the author of The Christian Walk, Mark Cummings on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/mark.cummings.733?ref=tn_tnmn
** Become a Follower of The Christian Walk at http://the-christian-walk.blogspot.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The scriptures. May God bless the reading of His holy word.

Jacob left Beersheba and set out for Harran. When he reached a certain place, he stopped for the night because the sun had set. Taking one of the stones there, he put it under his head and lay down to sleep. He had a dream in which he saw a stairway resting on the earth, with its top reaching to heaven, and the angels of God were ascending and descending on it. There above it stood the Lord, and He said:

“I am the Lord, the God of your father Abraham and the God of Isaac. I will give you and your descendants the land on which you are lying. Your descendants will be like the dust of the earth, and you will spread out to the west and to the east, to the north and to the south. All peoples on earth will be blessed through you and your offspring. I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.”

When Jacob awoke from his sleep, he thought, “Surely the Lord is in this place, and I was not aware of it.” 
He was afraid and said, “How awesome is this place! This is none other than the house of God; this is the gate of heaven.”

Early the next morning Jacob took the stone he had placed under his head and set it up as a pillar and poured oil on top of it. He called that place Bethel, though the city used to be called Luz. Then Jacob made a vow, saying, “If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear so that I return safely to my father’s household, then the Lord will be my God and this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God’s house, and of all that You give me I will give you a tenth.”  Genesis 28:10-22

After David was settled in his palace, he said to Nathan the prophet, “Here I am, living in a house of cedar, while the ark of the covenant of the Lord is under a tent.”

Nathan replied to David, “Whatever you have in mind, do it, for God is with you.”

But that night the word of God came to Nathan, saying:

“Go and tell My servant David, ‘This is what the Lord says: You are not the one to build Me a house to dwell in. I have not dwelt in a house from the day I brought Israel up out of Egypt to this day. I have moved from one tent site to another, from one dwelling place to another. Wherever I have moved with all the Israelites, did I ever say to any of their leaders whom I commanded to shepherd my people, “Why have you not built Me a house of cedar?”’

“Now then, tell My servant David, ‘This is what the Lord Almighty says: I took you from the pasture, from tending the flock, and appointed you ruler over My people Israel. I have been with you wherever you have gone, and I have cut off all your enemies from before you. Now I will make your name like the names of the greatest men on earth. And I will provide a place for My people Israel and will plant them so that they can have a home of their own and no longer be disturbed. Wicked people will not oppress them anymore, as they did at the beginning and have done ever since the time I appointed leaders over My people Israel. I will also subdue all your enemies.’”

“‘I declare to you that the Lord will build a house for you: When your days are over and you go to be with your ancestors, I will raise up your offspring to succeed you, one of your own sons, and I will establish his kingdom. He is the one who will build a house for Me, and I will establish his throne forever. I will be his father, and he will be My son. I will never take My love away from him, as I took it away from your predecessor. I will set him over My house and My kingdom forever; his throne will be established forever.’”

Nathan reported to David all the words of this entire revelation. 1 Chronicles 17:1-15

Now the camp of Midian lay below him in the valley. During that night the Lord said to Gideon, “Get up, go down against the camp, because I am going to give it into your hands. If you are afraid to attack, go down to the camp with your servant Purah and listen to what they are saying. Afterward, you will be encouraged to attack the camp.”

So he and Purah his servant went down to the outposts of the camp.

The Midianites, the Amalekites and all the other eastern peoples had settled in the valley, thick as locusts. Their camels could no more be counted than the sand on the seashore. Gideon arrived just as a man was telling a friend his dream. “I had a dream,” he was saying. “A round loaf of barley bread came tumbling into the Midianite camp. It struck the tent with such force that the tent overturned and collapsed.”

His friend responded, “This can be nothing other than the sword of Gideon son of Joash, the Israelite. God has given the Midianites and the whole camp into his hands.”

When Gideon heard the dream and its interpretation, he bowed down and worshiped. He returned to the camp of Israel and called out, “Get up! The Lord has given the Midianite camp into your hands.” Judges 7:8-15

This ends today’s reading from God's holy word. Thanks be to God.

NOTE: Today marks a special milestone for The Christian Walk ministry as you are about to read the 2,000th devotion. I pray it will bless you in a special way and invite you to check out all the other messages the Lord has placed on my heart through all these years of writing.

Dreams. They are the mystery of the sleeping world. We can find ourselves dreaming at nearly anytime, both asleep and awake and we can all definitely say we've had our share of dreams, both good and bad.  But where do they come from?

This very question has intrigued psychologists for years now. In fact, dream analysis has been turned into a regular science in its own right with those studying dreams referred to as psychotherapists.

One of the most famous researchers in the quest for the origins of dreaming was Dr. Sigmund Freud. Freud's work produced his theory that dreams were expressions of unfulfilled wishes or desires arising from the unconscious mind. He believed that a dream's meaning is often disguised since so many of a person's inner wishes are centered on social taboos. Thus, dreams were found to hold much symbolic meaning when left open for interpretation and, subsequently, more and more research. Freud's findings were documented in a book titled "The Interpretation of Dreams", published in 1900. And despite the extensive attention given to dreams since Freud, the interesting fact is that while there have been many findings on the physiology of dreaming, there is little really known as to their content beyond mere speculation. 

Still, dreaming has had its effects on society.  In fact, we've incorporated the idea of dreaming into our everyday vocabulary in a variety of plays on the word.    

For example, has anyone ever called you a dreamer?

We all have a tendency to be so caught up in our future that we spend much time wishing for things to come.  Perhaps we wish for more money or maybe higher success on the job possibly for better relationships with spouses, family, or friends. In all these wishes, the common denominator is a hope that things will be better than we currently have it because we can have a real tendency to be dissatisfied with where we're at. 

Ever wonder what God thinks about that?

I, for one, find myself feeling very guilty when I do this. For the Lord has blessed me with so much and yet I still can find myself dreaming and yearning for more. I am definitely a work-in-progress when it comes to just being satisfied with what God has already done with a trust for the future that reinforces a belief that He will always provide for those who are faithful to him in accordance with His will and way.  

We also have coined the phrase, "The American Dream", described by Webster as an American ideal of social equality and material success. Unfortunately, we too often equate it with the latter more than the former and find ourselves driven by a quest for materialism. Our quest might involve coveting a larger home to live in, owning a nicer car, and making more income because more money means more luxuries.

Did you catch what is missing as we pursue “The American Dream”?

There was no consideration about what God wants for us. The object of our attention is on ourselves.

Perhaps when we do put God center stage, he would want us to focus more on the other aspect of “The American Dream”: the quest for social equality. For when we turn to God for His outlook on life, He would lead us to the matter of love, and in particular, the matter of loving one another, regardless of status, sex, color, or national origin. If we do this, loving one another as God does, then we can shape our world into what God intended it to be when He created it, one where all are loved, valued, and cared for equally.

Martin Luther King Jr., the man of God we honor and remember on this day, wrote and delivered a now famous speech appropriately titled "I Had a Dream", a speech that contained a vision we should all seek to adopt. In his speech, Dr. King shares the following:

"Even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American Dream. I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed, for we hold these truths to be self evident that all men are created equal. I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Jordan, the sons of slave and sons of slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood." 

Written specifically to address the nation's racial problems, Dr. King's call needs to be adopted by all of God's people globally. Indifference and hatred must be replaced with love and understanding; oppression replaced with freedom and democracy. His dream simply must become a reality and the only way it can is if we let the Lord lead us there.

Then there’s the occurrence known as daydreaming.

While most of our dreaming exists during a sleeping state, we all find ourselves falling into trances from time to time while fully awake.

Ever find yourself doing that? 

Daydreams are known to last only for a few minutes each and are defined as responses to periods when full mental attention is not engaged. They have been found to consist of wishes or fantasies dealing with everyday problems.

So what do you find yourself daydreaming about?

Work? A loved one? A vacation getaway in some exotic location? A problem you are trying to resolve?

The options are many but let me ask you this:

Do you ever find God speaking to you in times when your full mental attention is not engaged?

I know I do and as I wrote several devotions ago, when those occurrences happen, I have to write down what God is saying because if I don’t I might end up forgetting something critical because when the Lord speaks, it is always important. In fact, a large number of my devotional titles or themes come from times when the Lord simply decides to speak to me and impart His wisdom and direction. In those times, there isn’t a need to carve out time in my schedule to sit down and brainstorm subject matter. Rather, God opts to speak to me in every day, mundane situations in life when I might not be so thoroughly engaged mentally, away from the hustle and bustle and relaxing. Frankly, I remain convinced that if it were not for those times of rest and reflection, times when I can slow down and open my heart and mind to the Lord, then I would find myself struggling to create devotions that come so easily to me today. The bottom line is that God is always ready to impart His guidance upon us. We just need to remain vigilant and open to receive His instruction because as we see in our scripture passages, God does in fact try to reach us through dreams.  
   
For example, Jacob's dream, found in our Old Testament reading from Genesis, reveals much about the forgiving God we serve. For even after Jacob had deceived his father Isaac into giving him the blessing rightfully reserved for his elder brother Esau, God had a plan for him to make up for his shortcoming and carry out the covenant which was first given to his ancestor Abraham.

As Jacob states, "Surely the Lord is in this place and I was not aware of it". Jacob never expected the Lord to move as He did and we in turn learn that even though we might not be seeking God, He is certainly always seeking us and so we need to remain vigilant, ever watching and waiting for Him, always open to receive His guidance.

Friends, God truly does work in mysterious ways and has a plan for each and every one of us. It's the reason why He has allowed our existence up to this very hour, so that we could fulfill His purposes.

In Jacob's case, God spoke to him directly through a dream and showed him his future. Next, we’ll look at David and how God can send messages to us through dreams He gives others.

As we look at our reading from 1 Chronicles, we find David, bothered by the fact that he had better accommodations that God's own Ark of the Covenant, being calmed by the prophet Nathan who God had spoken to in a dream, assuring him that David's place in heaven was secure and that his offspring would establish a temple to house the Ark. Today, we know this dream became a reality as Solomon, David's son and inheritor of the throne, later would build the temple, fulfilling Nathan's dream and God's promise. Through the message God gave Nathan, David learned that a lot of Israel’s future would be defined by his children, a point we should keep in mind even today. For as we are serving God and raising the children He has blessed us with to be knowledgeable and obedient to His word and way, we are preparing them for God’s future service and the purposes He has set aside for them, purposes to use them to make the dream of bettering God's kingdom here on earth a reality.

And finally we have Gideon. Faced with trying to overthrow the great Midian army, Gideon began to lose the one foundation necessary for him to overcome the odds he was up against: his faith. He not only doubted the men he had to fight with but his ability to lead them.

Enter the Lord into Gideon’s situation who told the doubting leader to go into the Midianite camp with his servant if he was afraid to carry out what God was telling him to do. And when he did, what did he overhear? Lo and behold, it was a man who was sharing a rather bizarre dream with his friend, one in which a loaf of barley bread rolled into the Midianite camp and brought destruction. The friend quickly interpreted the dream as pending doom for the Midianites who he was convinced would be attacked and defeated by Gideon who would be given the victory by God.

After hearing this conversation, Gideon had what he needed, the bold confidence to go forward and do what God had asked him to do, knowing the Lord was about to bring him victory and that’s exactly what happened as Gideon courageously won over the Midianites with only 300 men, armed with trumpets and glass jars. Through the story of Gideon, we see how God will deliver us through times of challenge, even when they seem insurmountable, and bring us to victory over hardship that we may have only dreamed about defeating.

So as we see in today’s devotion, dreams do become reality. At one time, I only dreamed I could write as long and often as I have. Two thousand devotions seemed like it was improbable but here I am reaching this milestone with God’s help. He has led and guided me through this ministry journey and I believe He still has a long way for me to go before He calls me to live with Him forever.

With this, what is your dream? What would you like for God to do for you in your life?

Perhaps the answer might be grounded in the prayers you lift up and the hopes you have. For when we focus on God then we focus not just on who He is but what He desires for our lives. A relationship with Him leads us to do the things He wants us to do at the time He wants us to do them.

Jacob would carry on the covenant promise God gave to Abraham. That was his purpose.

David would not be the one to build God’s temple but he would bear the son who would do it, a son who would inherit his throne.

Gideon would defeat an army against seemingly impossible odds and learn in the process that when God’s wills for something to happen, it happens through whoever He chooses to do it.

God has a dream for each of us, just as He did for these three Old Testament figures, and His dreams always will become realities.

Seek Him today and allow His dreams for you to become a reality in your life.

Amen.

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Feel free to leave a comment and please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it.

Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk@aol.com

No comments: