Saturday, October 20, 2012

LONGING

Can I pray for you in any way? Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk@aol.com.

In Christ, Mark

The scriptures. May God bless the reading of His holy word.
You, God, are my God, earnestly I seek You; I thirst for you, my whole being longs for you, in a dry and parched land where there is no water.

Psalm 63:1

This ends this reading from God's holy word. Thanks be to God.
________________________________________________________________________
** Writer’s note: Yesterday was my 900th post. I give thanks to God for guiding me through this journey not yet completed and look forward to reaching the 1,000 post mark sometime in early 2013. Thanks to all my readers for your support and I ask for your continued prayers for The Christian Walk ministry, Lives are being transformed and souls are being saved through the power of God’s word and the messages He places on my heart. That is reason for celebration and thanksgiving unto the One who makes it all possible.
________________________________________________________________________

We are people who have longings.

Maybe we long for a better job with better pay and benefits. Or maybe we don’t have a job at all and long to be employed again.  

Maybe we long for a home to call our own or for a nice car or any number of other possessions we might prize.

Maybe we long for better health and a freedom from affliction and/or suffering. Possibly this includes longing for our very lives to last just a little longer.

Perhaps you long for a companion, a mate who will replace your loneliness, someone you can share the rest of your life with. Or maybe you’re already in a relationship and it is a struggle. You long for peace and joy and love to come again.

Yes, there is no shortage of yearnings in life. We all have them. And we all experience the frustrations of having longings that often aren’t satisfied. I know I can relate. Maybe you can too.  

But what if we could have all of our longings met in one place? Wouldn’t that be something everyone would be interested in?

I believe David discovered the way to have all his longings fulfilled and thanks be to God he shared his findings with us. For as we look within the truth of God’s word at the opening verse of the 63 rd Psalm, we find David sharing about his longings being fulfilled. Look again at his words:

You, God, are my God, earnestly I seek You; I thirst for you, my whole being longs for you, in a dry and parched land where there is no water.

David found in his life that the only true satisfaction came through earnestly seeking and finding God, even in a world that was dry and parched. Ever feel that was about our world today?

So what resulted from David earnestly seeking God?

God became his only longing.

David had such a thirst for God that his whole being longed for God. Not just some of him but all of him. Do you ever wonder why they referred to David as a man after God’s own heart? Now you know why. And the good news is that the same thing can be said about you and me if we seek God earnestly too.

Jesus, in the Sermon on the Mount, shared the following beatitude:

“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.” Matthew 5:6

We see this truth come to life in David and it can come to life in us as well.

Want to have all your longings met forever, leaving you ever filled and fulfilled?

Make God the only longing in your life and long for him with your whole being. Rest assured that when you do, you will be filled and satisfied.

Amen.

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it.

Send any prayer requests to
ourchristianwalk@aol.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent blog post. I definitely love this site.
Thanks!