Tuesday, April 15, 2014

DON’T TRUST IN YOURSELF



Can I pray for you in any way? Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk@aol.com.

In Christ, Mark

The scriptures. May God bless the reading of His holy word.

Those who trust in themselves are fools, but those who walk in wisdom are kept safe.

Proverbs 28:26

This ends this reading from God's holy word. Thanks be to God.

In the last month, I have been involved in several counseling sessions with people going through relationship difficulties in their lives. I find it interesting how in not only these recent encounters but many like them I hear the same basic tone and in it, the foundation of the real problem at hand.

What is the tone I hear?

It’s all about me.

In regard to relationship matters, people will share with me how they would like X while their mate would like Y. One wants more from the relationship than the other. One’s desires aren’t being met and so they are unhappy. The self-centered complaints go on and on and on.

I always allow the person talking to me to express their feelings and the issues at hand. Sometimes it takes awhile. But after all is out, I typically ask one simple question:

Where is the Lord in all of this?

It’s a trap that any of us can fall into if we’re not careful. We can get so caught up in our wants and our needs and our desires and our will that we become the object of our life instead of the One who gave life to us. I don’t know about you but the Lord has allowed me to take control of my life when I wanted to just to show me how much I can royalty mess things up. Sometimes, we don’t realize just how much we need Him until we try to live without Him.

I was reminded of this truth as I looked at the proverb for today, the 26th verse of Proverbs, Chapter 28. Within it, the Lord sends us a fundamental message:

Only a fool trusts in themselves.

Look at the verse again:

Those who trust in themselves are fools, but those who walk in wisdom are kept safe.

We aren’t wise enough to capably handle the complex problems that life can bring but we serve a Lord who is always willing and ready to impart discernment and guidance to us whenever we call on His precious and holy name. And when we seek His wisdom, acknowledging His authority and majesty and greatness, then we make Him the object of our life over ourselves. We see Him as the One who rules and reigns and judges. We see Him as the One who we need to please, ever seeking His desires and doing what it takes to fulfill them. Through this, we find rest and peace and safety for the Lord will never guide us wrong as we fulfill His purposes and experience life as we were intended to live, a live free from foolishness because it is immersed in righteousness.

Today and every day, let us make the Lord the object of our affection and our service. For if we do, then we will turn from trusting in ourselves of anyone else for that matter and always bask in the glow of His wisdom as we walk with Him in safety, light, and love.

Amen.

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it.

Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk@aol.com

No comments: