Saturday, November 12, 2022

THE ONLY COMMENDATION WE SHOULD SEEK

Can I pray for you in any way?

Send any prayer requests to Gods4all@aol.com

In Christ, Mark

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

** Follow The Christian Walk on Twitter @ThChristianWalk

** Like posts and send friend requests to the author of The Christian Walk, Mark Cummings on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/mark.cummings.733?ref=tn_tnmn

** Become a Follower of The Christian Walk at http://the-christian-walk.blogspot.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The scriptures. May God bless the reading of His holy word.

For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends.

2 Corinthians 10:18

This ends this reading from God's holy word. Thanks be to God.

If one boasts, they should boast in the Lord, not in themselves.

This was the message to us from the word of God in yesterday’s message. When it comes to being glorified, one needs to always make sure that the Lord is always the one who is on the receiving end.

You see, we need not worry about gaining the commendation of others. These commendations really mean very little in the big scheme of things. It took me awhile in life to understand this.

I spent most of my life serving my country in the United States Navy. The performance culture there is all about making a name for oneself, to seek recognition and acclamation from your superiors. Doing so would ensure that promotions and awards would follow, more public representations of success gained through hard work. And so I strived every day to gain the favor of others, chasing after my own honor.

Then one day, I woke up to a new reality, a spiritual epiphany. I realized that I was working to please the wrong person. For the Lord wasn’t interested in what pay grade I attained or how many awards I received. He was only concerned with the person I was in Him.

This led to a major shift in the way I approached my service. Every day became a concerted effort to ensure I honored Him with everything I did. He was the focal point of every effort, not myself. I became less interested in what others thought about me and laser-focused on how the Lord felt. My only hope then, and right up to present day, is that the Lord might say the following when He calls me out of this life into the eternal one He promised:

“Well done, good and faithful servant. With you, I am well pleased.”

There are many commendations we might chase after in life but the only one we should pursue, the only one that really matters, is the one that comes from our Lord.

Amen.

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Feel free to leave a comment and please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it.
Send any prayer requests to Gods4all@aol.com

No comments: