Friday, April 19, 2013

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

Can I pray for you in any way? Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk.com.

In Christ, Mark

The scriptures. May God bless the reading of His holy word.

How precious to me are your thoughts, God! How vast is the sum of them! Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand — when I awake, I am still with You.

Psalm 139:17-18

This ends this reading from God's holy word. Thanks be to God.

I have been around a lot of people through my life who were obsessed with studying great thinkers, past and present. I specifically remember starting my quest for a Bachelor’s degree as a philosophy major where we pored over the writings of Socrates, Locke, Descartes, Plato, Kant, Nietzsche, and Aristotle. I made it through about four classes before deciding that I wasn’t cut out for philosophy as a major.

Why?

Because I never found anyone, no matter how greatly renowned, who could compete with the greatest thinker of all, none other than the Lord God Almighty.

As we look again at the 139th Psalm, we find David equally enthralled with the thoughts of God. Look at his words again:

How precious to me are your thoughts, God! How vast is the sum of them! Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand — when I awake, I am still with You.

David clearly saw the amazing value of God’s thoughts. They were precious to him and he found himself awestruck by the absolute immensity of the Lord’s views, views that outnumbered the grains of sand. Think about that and be amazed like David.

Indeed, David was overwhelmed by the significance of God’s thoughts. He wasn’t alone. Look at these words from the prophet Amos:

He who forms the mountains, who creates the wind, and who reveals His thoughts to mankind, who turns dawn to darkness, and treads on the heights of the earth— the Lord God Almighty is His name. Amos 4:13

Our Creator God who formed the mountains and wind, the God who turns dawn to darkness and reigns over all from the heavens, this God also created thought. The fact of the matter is that no philosopher could conjure a single thought had not God first given them the gift to think in the first place.

It’s definitely food for thought, don’t you think?

Here’s one more thing to digest: God shares His thoughts with us. It happens to me every day.

As I often say to people when we discuss “The Christian Walk”, every day I sit down to a blank Word document with just a scripture passage. It’s then that God begins to share His thoughts with me and then I type them out and share them with my readers.  

How does He share His thoughts?

Look at this passage from Paul’s first letter to the church in Corinth:

In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.  What we have received is not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may understand what God has freely given us. 1 Corinthians 2:11b-12

It’s clear here how God shares His precious thoughts with us. Paul explains that no one can know the thoughts of God except His Holy Spirit who He has sent to instruct us and guide us by revealing the very thoughts of God.

Friends, we are blessed by God in so many special ways but maybe not many are more special than the blessings of knowing the thoughts of God. It’s a blessing we should always be hungry for, knowing we will be fed. After all, Jesus promised this when He said:

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.  Matthew 5:6

Amen.

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it.

Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk@aol.com

No comments: