Friday, March 21, 2014

STAND FIRM FOR GOD IS WITH YOU



Can I pray for you in any way? Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk.com.

In Christ, Mark

The scriptures. May God bless the reading of His holy word.

The wicked flee though no one pursues, but the righteous are as bold as a lion.

Proverbs 28:1

This ends this reading from God's holy word. Thanks be to God.

I have a little plaque someone gave me some time ago. It is affixed on one of the compartment doors of the desk I often sit at to compose these devotions. It’s there because the words are inspiring and serve as a constant reminder that no matter what life brings, things are going to be OK because God is with us. I thought I would share this with you today in light of the words that Solomon shares in the first verse of Proverbs, Chapter 28. First, look at the message from the plaque and then God’s word to us from Solomon:

The Plaque:

The light of God surrounds us.
The love of God enfolds us.
The power of God protects us.
The presence of God watches over us.
Where ever we are, God is.
And where God is, all is well.

Proverbs 28:1

The wicked flee though no one pursues, but the righteous are as bold as a lion.

Those who live without the Lord in their life, paying no attention to Him or His word, will, and way, live with no reassurances, no comfort, no peace, and no hope. They wonder why life is so hard to cope with and the answer is as close as a look in a mirror. For when we try to rely on our own strength and lean upon our own understanding, when we try and control our lives, we find ourselves in a constant state of unease and insecurity and anxiety. We quickly learn that our self reliance is a weakness, one that separates us from the One who can help us do all things through His strength (Philippians 4:13). We yearn for something better but struggle to find it in ourselves or any other person here on earth.

Conversely, those who place their trust and hope in the Lord live in confidence because they know the Lord is with them always. It’s not that their lives are any less difficult than those who opt not to believe. It’s just that they understand that the Lord will lead and guide them through the good times and bad times in life. They need not fear because they know the Lord is their ever present help in times of trouble (Psalm 46:1). They bask in the glow of His light that surrounds them. They feel the warmth of His love that enfolds them. They constantly sense the safety His protection brings. And they feel His presence and are at peace knowing He is watching over them.

Yes, God is everywhere, always with us so that we can live out life in accordance with His will and way with a bold sense of confidence, no matter what might come our way. For where God is, all is well.

In closing and to offer some other words to bless you and underscore the Lord’s message that we can stand firm in life no matter what comes our way I want to share with you the story of Horatio Spafford (as taken from www.sharefaith.com) and he hymn he wrote in the midst of tragedy that has inspired countless believers to stand firm and bold because God is with us.

Horatio Spafford (1828-1888) was a wealthy Chicago lawyer with a thriving legal practice, a beautiful home, a wife, four daughters and a son. He was also a devout Christian and faithful student of the Scriptures. His circle of friends included Dwight L. Moody, Ira Sankey and various other well-known Christians of the day.
At the very height of his financial and professional success, Horatio and his wife Anna suffered the tragic loss of their young son. Shortly thereafter on October 8, 1871, the Great Chicago Fire destroyed almost every real estate investment that Spafford had.

In 1873, Spafford scheduled a boat trip to Europe in order to give his wife and daughters a much needed vacation and time to recover from the tragedy. He also went to join Moody and Sankey on an evangelistic campaign in England. Spafford sent his wife and daughters ahead of him while he remained in Chicago to take care of some unexpected last minute business. Several days later he received notice that his family's ship had encountered a collision. All four of his daughters drowned; only his wife had survived.

With a heavy heart, Spafford boarded a boat that would take him to his grieving Anna in England. It was on this trip that he penned these words:

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.

Refrain:
It is well (it is well),
with my soul (with my soul),
It is well, it is well with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

Refrain
It is well (it is well),
with my soul (with my soul),
It is well, it is well with my soul.

My sin, oh the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to His cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

Refrain
It is well (it is well),
with my soul (with my soul),
It is well, it is well with my soul.

For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.

Refrain
It is well (it is well),
with my soul (with my soul),
It is well, it is well with my soul.

And Lord haste the day, when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

Refrain
It is well (it is well),
with my soul (with my soul),
It is well, it is well with my soul.

Today and every day, my prayer for all is that they would turn to the Lord in life and receive His light, love, power, and presence so that no matter what may come, it will be well with their soul. For where ever we are, God is. And where God is, all is well.

Amen.

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it.

Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk@aol.com

No comments: