Monday, October 22, 2007

NO QUESTION!

"Then food was set before him, but he said, "I will not eat until I have told you what I have to say." "Then tell us," Laban said. So he said, "I am Abraham's servant. The Lord has blessed my master abundantly, and he has become wealthy. He has given him sheep and cattle, silver and gold, menservants and maidservants, and camels and donkeys. My master's wife Sarah has borne him a son in her old age, and he has given him everything he owns. And my master made me swear an oath, and said, 'You must not get a wife for my son from the daughters of the Canaanites, in whose land I live, but go to my father's family and to my own clan, and get a wife for my son.'
"Then I asked my master, 'What if the woman will not come back with me?' "He replied, 'The LORD, before whom I have walked, will send his angel with you and make your journey a success, so that you can get a wife for my son from my own clan and from my father's family. 41 Then, when you go to my clan, you will be released from my oath even if they refuse to give her to you—you will be released from my oath.' "When I came to the spring today, I said, 'O Lord, God of my master Abraham, if you will, please grant success to the journey on which I have come. See, I am standing beside this spring; if a maiden comes out to draw water and I say to her, "Please let me drink a little water from your jar,"and if she says to me, "Drink, and I'll draw water for your camels too," let her be the one the Lord has chosen for my master's son.' "Before I finished praying in my heart, Rebekah came out, with her jar on her shoulder. She went down to the spring and drew water, and I said to her, 'Please give me a drink.' "She quickly lowered her jar from her shoulder and said, 'Drink, and I'll water your camels too.' So I drank, and she watered the camels also. "I asked her, 'Whose daughter are you?' "She said, 'The daughter of Bethuel son of Nahor, whom Milcah bore to him.' "Then I put the ring in her nose and the bracelets on her arms, and I bowed down and worshiped the Lord. I praised the Lord, the God of my master Abraham, who had led me on the right road to get the granddaughter of my master's brother for his son. Now if you will show kindness and faithfulness to my master, tell me; and if not, tell me, so I may know which way to turn." Laban and Bethuel answered, "This is from the Lord; we can say nothing to you one way or the other. Here is Rebekah; take her and go, and let her become the wife of your master's son, as the Lord has directed." When Abraham's servant heard what they said, he bowed down to the ground before the Lord." Genesis 24:33b-52


Have you ever questioned what God wanted you to do? Maybe He has called you to go somewhere and do something and you wondered why He wanted you to do it. Maybe He wanted you to speak to someone about Him and you questioned whether someone else might be more qualified to do so. Maybe He has told you to remain faithful and patience in the midst of circumstances and you questioned whether He really loved and cared for you as much as you thought He did. I think if we’re all honest with ourselves, we have all questioned God at one time or another.

Well, in today’s scripture passage, we learn a lesson in total faithfulness as we continue to study chapter 24 and the experiences of Abraham’s chief servant as he attempts to carry out Abraham’s tasking to find Isaac a wife.

You’ll remember that the Lord showed the chief servant who Isaac’s wife would be through a couple of signs (she offered the servant a drink of water and then gave his camels water as well). After the servant gave Rebekah a few gifts and explained that the Lord had called her to marry Isaac, she runs home to her family. Her brother then returns and invites the servant, a total stranger to stay with the family. Today’s passage picks up with the servant enjoying a meal from Rebekah’s family but he refuses to eat until he tells the story of how and why he was there. He then proceeds to share testimony as to how Abraham had tasked him and how the Lord took it from there, guiding him through making the right choice…and that right choice was Rebekah.

After sharing his testimony, the servant asks Betheul, Rebekah’s mother, and Laban, her brother, to bless him taking Rebekah away to marry Isaac. Here was a man who just showed up in Nahor…a total stranger who neither Betheul or Laban know…a stranger who was asking their permission to take away Rebekah for a marriage to a man she hasn’t even met. I don’t know about you but I have two daughters in their 20’s and I would be a little suspicious and skeptical about such a proposition if it came to me about one of my own. But something incredibly fascinating happens…something that could only be born out of an exceptional faith and trust in the Lord.

Hear the words of Betheul and Laban again, ""This is from the Lord; we can say nothing to you one way or the other. Here is Rebekah; take her and go, and let her become the wife of your master's son, as the Lord has directed." Did you hear that? This is from the Lord; we can say nothing to you one way or another." The Holman Christian Standard translation states their position better. It reads, "This is from the Lord; we have no choice in the matter." That’s exactly right. What the servant was doing was playing his part in God’s plan. Now Betheul and Laban were also part of the plan as they were asked to allow Rebekah to go with the servant to marry Isaac…and they knew it. They understood that there was something big happening here and they shouldn’t question it or resist it but rather be obedient to what the Lord was asking them to do. Their decision once again illicits a response of praise from the servant who once again bowed down before the Lord in the spirit of worship and praise.

Question: What is the Lord asking you to do today? Are you going to respond in obedience, knowing you really have no choice when He calls on you…He expects your compliance. Or are you going to allow Satan to deceive you into thinking you do have a choice…that maybe you should ask God if He knows what He’s doing in asking you to do what He’s asking you to do. Betheul and Laban responded in a way that said they would respond faithfully to God’s call with no question. We would be well suited to follow their lead.

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it.

http://www.faithhopeandlove.info/

Send any prayer requests to faithhopegodlove@aol.com

No comments: