Tuesday, October 9, 2007

IS ANYTHING TOO HARD FOR GOD?

"God also said to Abraham, "As for Sarai your wife, you are no longer to call her Sarai; her name will be Sarah. I will bless her and will surely give you a son by her. I will bless her so that she will be the mother of nations; kings of peoples will come from her." Abraham fell facedown; he laughed and said to himself, "Will a son be born to a man a hundred years old? Will Sarah bear a child at the age of ninety?" And Abraham said to God, "If only Ishmael might live under your blessing!" Then God said, "Yes, but your wife Sarah will bear you a son, and you will call him Isaac. I will establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him. And as for Ishmael, I have heard you: I will surely bless him; I will make him fruitful and will greatly increase his numbers. He will be the father of twelve rulers, and I will make him into a great nation. But my covenant I will establish with Isaac, whom Sarah will bear to you…surely (I will) return to you about this time next year, and Sarah your wife will have a son." Now Sarah was listening at the entrance to the tent, which was behind him. Abraham and Sarah were already old and well advanced in years, and Sarah was past the age of childbearing. So Sarah laughed to herself as she thought, "After I am worn out and my master is old, will I now have this pleasure?" Then the Lord said to Abraham, "Why did Sarah laugh and say, 'Will I really have a child, now that I am old?' Is anything too hard for the Lord? I will return to you at the appointed time next year and Sarah will have a son." Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, "I did not laugh." But he said, "Yes, you did laugh."
Genesis 17:15-21, 18:10-15

Have you ever been in a situation where you felt it was impossible for something to happen? I think we all have for I think we all may have felt that "I can’t do that" or "that’s not going to happen" before. Maybe you or someone close to you has entered into bad health and you started to feel like there was no hope of recovery. Maybe you have been through relationship, financial or addiction problems and felt there was no way clear or your circumstances. Maybe you have thought you’ll never find success, love, or security in life. Maybe God looks down on us and says to Himself, "Oh ye of little faith."

Indeed, we serve a God who is all powerful, all knowing, all capable and all willing to make anything happen in our life in accordance with His will. Yet, we so often quickly lose trust in Him and fall into Satan’s web of hopelessness, inadequacy, depression and despair. Like Sarah in our scripture, we start to look at things from a worldly perspective vice a "God can do anything" perspective.
Sarah, told by God that she will bear a son with Abraham, responds by laughing and thinking, "After I am worn out and my master is old, will I now have this pleasure?" She probably figured that her thoughts were concealed but she quickly learned that God can see to the very depths of our hearts and minds…to the very thoughts that we think. Nothing is hidden from Him.

Sarah, obviously embarrassed when God calls her out tries to cover up her sinful doubt by trying to lie her way around God. Wrong answer. Sarah says, "I did not laugh" but God replies, "Yes, you did laugh." Of course, ironically the son Abraham and Sarah would bear would be named Isaac which means "he laughs". God has a sense of humor and one has to think that Sarah and Abraham would both remember that they laughed at God when they should have trusted Him. Remember these words from God as He says, "Is anything too hard for the Lord?"

So what do you think? What is your current circumstance? Do you think that anything is possible for God? Do you truly believe that He can make the impossible possible? The improbable probable? The hopeless hopeful? Know, trust and believe that He can. He is God...and nothing is too hard for Him.

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it.

http://www.faithhopeandlove.info/

Send any prayer requests to faithhopegodlove@aol.com

No comments: