Tuesday, March 29, 2016

BLESSED ASSURANCE



Can I pray for you in any way? Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk@aol.com.

In Christ, Mark
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
** Follow The Christian Walk on Twitter @ThChristianWalk
** Like posts and send friend requests to the author of The Christian Walk, Mark Cummings on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/mark.cummings.733?ref=tn_tnmn
** Become a Follower of The Christian Walk at http://the-christian-walk.blogspot.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The scriptures. May God bless the reading of His holy word.

When Baruch, son of Neriah, wrote on a scroll the words Jeremiah the prophet dictated in the fourth year of Jehoiakim, son of Josiah, king of Judah, Jeremiah said this to Baruch:

“This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says to you, Baruch: You said, ‘Woe to me! The Lord has added sorrow to my pain; I am worn out with groaning and find no rest.’ But the Lord has told me to say to you, ‘This is what the Lord says: I will overthrow what I have built and uproot what I have planted, throughout the earth. Should you then seek great things for yourself? Do not seek them. For I will bring disaster on all people, declares the Lord, but wherever you go I will let you escape with your life.’”

Jeremiah 45

This ends today’s reading from God's holy word. Thanks be to God.

You may recall the relationship that the prophet Jeremiah had with a man named Baruch. It was a special relationship as Baruch was a member of Jeremiah’s inner circle, a trusted confidant and friend, a servant of the Lord.

As Jeremiah’s right hand man, the scriptures highlight several key actions he performed for God’s prophet:

1. When Jeremiah purchased a field in Anathoth within his home territory of Benjamin, Baruch was involved in handling the deed for the land, following Jeremiah’s order to place the important documents in a clay jar so that they might be preserved. Baruch did just as Jeremiah had told him to do.

2. Sometime later, Baruch was enlisted by Jeremiah to first write down all the words that the Lord had given His prophet on a scroll before going to the temple and reading the scroll to the worshippers there. The king’s officials were so frightened and concerned when they heard what Baruch read that they told him to flee with Jeremiah and hide, being careful to reveal to no one in regard to where they were going. The officials took the scroll to King Jehoiakim who proceeded to burn it, such was his disregard for God. So Jeremiah dictated to Baruch who produced a replacement scroll containing the words of Lord.

Indeed, Baruch had stuck with Jeremiah through thick and thin, in good times and bad. He had experienced the joys of success along with the prophet and he suffered through the persecution and spiritual attacks as well. We find all this and more as we look at the 45th chapter of Jeremiah and find the Lord giving Baruch a blessed assurance:

When Baruch, son of Neriah, wrote on a scroll the words Jeremiah the prophet dictated in the fourth year of Jehoiakim, son of Josiah, king of Judah, Jeremiah said this to Baruch:

“This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says to you, Baruch: You said, ‘Woe to me! The Lord has added sorrow to my pain; I am worn out with groaning and find no rest.’ But the Lord has told me to say to you, ‘This is what the Lord says: I will overthrow what I have built and uproot what I have planted, throughout the earth. Should you then seek great things for yourself? Do not seek them. For I will bring disaster on all people, declares the Lord, but wherever you go I will let you escape with your life.’”  Jeremiah 45

Baruch had endured a lot along with Jeremiah. It wasn’t easy and the words of the prophet’s scribe reflected that. There was a lot of emotional pain that came with persecution for standing up for the God against those who had chosen to live in sin. By his own admission, Baruch was worn out and in dire need of rest. Such is the case when we labor for the name of the Lord even today in the 21st century. If you don’t believe that, then you haven’t been paying attention to what has been happening around you as Christians seem to be coming under attack more and more. In fact, it has become a matter of life and death in many parts of the world we live in.

Note that the Lord is not going to tolerate the blatant sinfulness that existed in Jeremiah’s time and He is not going to accept it today either. Ditto for any time in the future. For the scriptures make it clear that judgment was coming on Judah and its holy city of Jerusalem. The Lord was bringing “disaster on all people” except for Baruch.

That was the blessed assurance God gave His faithful servant. He would be spared when punishment fell upon his fellow Israelites and escape with his life.

Today, God has given His people all a chance to have a blessed assurance as well, one that is even better than the one Baruch received.

For anyone who places their faith and hope in God’s only Son, Jesus, as their Savior will not perish but have eternal life (John 3:16). Thus, when the final judgment falls at Christ’s return, all those who believed in Him will escape with their lives, lives that will be full of light and love and peace, free from all the afflictions of the world.

What do the words of the classic hymn proclaim?

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.

Refrain:
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long;
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long.

Perfect submission, perfect delight,
Visions of rapture now burst on my sight;
Angels, descending, bring from above
Echoes of mercy, whispers of love.

Refrain:
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long;
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long.

Perfect submission, all is at rest,
I in my Savior am happy and blest,
Watching and waiting, looking above,
Filled with His goodness, lost in His love.

Refrain:
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long;
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long.

Amen.

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Feel free to leave a comment and please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it.

Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk@aol.com

No comments: