Monday, January 26, 2015

BE STRONG AND DO NOT FEAR



Can I pray for you in any way? Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk@aol.com.

In Christ, Mark
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
** Follow The Christian Walk on Twitter @ThChristianWalk
** Like posts and send friend requests to the author of The Christian Walk, Mark Cummings on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/mark.cummings.733?ref=tn_tnmn
** Become a Follower of The Christian Walk at http://the-christian-walk.blogspot.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The scriptures. May God bless the reading of His holy word.

Strengthen the feeble hands, steady the knees that give way; say to those with fearful hearts, “Be strong, do not fear; your God will come, He will come with vengeance; with divine retribution He will come to save you.”

Isaiah 35:3-4

This ends this reading from God's holy word. Thanks be to God.

Through ministry work, I encounter people with a multitude of problems.

There are people who are suffering through any number of health issues, afflicted by sickness, disease, or injury.

There are people who are struggling financially to make ends meet. Some people lack even the most basic needs, like food and shelter.

There are people who are in the midst of brokenness having experienced relationships that ended, either through death or divorce.

There are people who are fighting against any number of addictions that have entrapped them and held them captive in life.

And there are people who facing persecution and danger in their homeland because of their belief and trust in Jesus.

I could go on and on with the extent of difficulties our brothers and sisters of the world are going through but you get the point. Maybe you are reading this today and have troubles of your own you are dealing with. For all of us, everyone living this thing called life and thus at risk of encountering its hardships, the word of God speaks loudly today from the 35th chapter of Isaiah.

It simply tells us to “Be strong and do not fear.”

Look at these two verses:

Strengthen the feeble hands, steady the knees that give way; say to those with fearful hearts, “Be strong, do not fear; your God will come, He will come with vengeance; with divine retribution He will come to save you.” Vv. 3-4

I went through a divorce in my life. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to endure, even harder than the recent loss of my father. I had been married more than 10 years when I learned my wife had violated my trust and was with another man. I was devastated. I had two daughters and the separation from them as legal matters were worked out (and even after that until I gained custody of them several years later) was gut-wrenching and heart-breaking. In losing my family, I had lost everything or so I felt because at the time I was not walking with the Lord. I remember how feeble my hands felt, helpless to do anything to change my circumstances. My knees were unsteady as I stood on the unsure foundation of a changed life, a life that would never be able to go back to what it was. My heart was fearful as I wondered all the time, “What now?” I did not know where my future was at anymore. I was at sea, underway in stormy seas without a compass or a life preserver.

Maybe you can relate.

So what happened? How did I get from there to here? How did I go from being at rock bottom in my life to the place where I can write words of inspiration to others, words I can only pray will say:

“Be strong and do not fear.”

It only happened because of a God who loved me enough to come to my rescue and show me a life filled with more joy and contentment than I ever thought possible, a life where I could stand firmly in the face of life’s challenges and say that I can make it through, not by my strength but by the strength of the Lord through which I can do all things (Philippians 4:13).

You see it was the Lord who led me to volunteer my time at a local school where I met my Amazing Grace who was the Assistant Principal. It was the Lord who spoke these words through my future wife, “If we’re going to have a relationship, God has to be first in everything.” It was the Lord who took me from my place of shame and anxiety, having lived apart from Him for so long, to a place of love and celebration as I, His son, who was once lost had now been found (like the Prodigal Son – read Luke 15:11-32). It was the Lord who nurtured me from that point forward, filling me with His wisdom and knowledge, leading me to teach and preach and sing and write to glorify and honor Him. It was all about the Lord. No one else. Through Him and Him alone, I learned to be strong and not fear.

Friends, the word of God is calling out to our hearts, souls, and minds today to touch us where we are, at ground zero of the lives we are living, lives that can pull us into uncertainty about what is to come. No matter what we are going through, no matter how things might change, we need to always remember this:

God is God and will never change. He is all powerful and nothing is beyond the works of His hands. And the scriptures for today assure us that He will come to save us. All we need to do is maintain and sustain our faith, hope, and trust in Him and Him alone.

When we do this, and only when we do this, will we be able to be strong and not fear the circumstances of life. God has been, is, and will always be greater than any problem we have. We would do well to always remember this.

Amen.

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it.

Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk@aol.com

No comments: