Friday, October 3, 2014

GIVEN UNTO US (PART 4)



Can I pray for you in any way? Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk@aol.com.

In Christ, Mark
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
** Follow The Christian Walk on Twitter @ThChristianWalk
** Like posts and send friend requests to the author of The Christian Walk, Mark Cummings on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/mark.cummings.733?ref=tn_tnmn
** Become a Follower of The Christian Walk at http://the-christian-walk.blogspot.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The scriptures. May God bless the reading of His holy word.

For to us a child is born, to us a Son is given - And He will be called Everlasting Father.

Isaiah 9:6

This ends this reading from God's holy word. Thanks be to God.

My father was a good man, as good a Dad as a person could ask for. He taught me all about responsibility and doing the right thing. He showed by example how a leader should be willing to go to bat for their people, even if it means getting in the line of fire and taking a few shots intended for them. He displayed a selfless heart that was always willing to go the extra mile to provide help for another. He taught me a love for sports, especially his favorite, baseball. And when it came to supporting me throughout my Navy career, few people were more supportive than he was.

It’s a shame Dad didn’t make it to the end of my career as he passed away in August of 2011, less than a year from my retirement. I had lost a father and a friend, a role model and advisor and advocate.

But had I really?

This was a question that entered my mind after my Dad’s passing and continues to enter my mind today.

The answer is always the same. I may have lost a biological, earthly Dad but I didn’t lose the everlasting Father Jesus who will never depart from me. It’s just one more reason to rejoice and be glad in every day we are blessed with.

We know of Jesus as our everlasting Father through the scriptures and specifically from Isaiah 9:6 which we have been savoring over the last several days in this series titled, “Given Unto Us.” Look at this verse as it speaks to us in the context of today’s devotion:

For to us a child is born, to us a Son is given - And He will be called Everlasting Father.

What a comfort it is to have a Father who will always be with us! When Jesus gave His disciples (and that includes all of us) His final marching orders, He finished with the following:

“Surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:20

With this, we’re never alone. We will always have the best parent ever, the ultimate, everlasting Father Jesus given unto us by God, the One He was one and the same as, the Father who teaches, corrects, guides, and loves with a perfect tender care.

Friends, no matter what might happen to our worldly parents, we will always have a Father who art in Heaven and hallowed be His name now and forever. Let us all never cease in giving thanks to God for the gift of His Son Jesus.  

Amen.

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it.

Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk@aol.com

No comments: