Friday, March 8, 2013

THE NEAR AND FAR OF LIFE

Can I pray for you in any way? Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk.com.

In Christ, Mark

The scriptures. May God bless the reading of His holy word.

Hear my voice in accordance with Your love; preserve my life, Lord, according to Your laws.

Those who devise wicked schemes are near, but they are far from Your law. Yet you are near, Lord, and all Your commands are true. Long ago I learned from your statutes that you established them to last forever.

Look on my suffering and deliver me, for I have not forgotten Your law. Defend my cause and redeem me; preserve my life according to Your promise. Salvation is far from the wicked, for they do not seek out Your decrees.

Your compassion, Lord, is great; preserve my life according to Your laws. Many are the foes who persecute me, but I have not turned from Your statutes. I look on the faithless with loathing, for they do not obey Your word. See how I love Your precepts; preserve my life, Lord, in accordance with Your love. All Your words are true; all Your righteous laws are eternal.

Psalm 119:149-160

This ends this reading from God's holy word. Thanks be to God.

As you walk through life, what seems nearer to you: your life circumstances or the Lord?

The reason I ask is because too often we allow the matters of life to wedge in between our heart and the only One who can help us through.

Ask yourself why life seems dark?

One of the reasons is that you have probably let your dark times in life get between you and the Son (Jesus), the Light of the world (John 8:12).

Indeed, just as heavy dark clouds can obscure the sunlight that provides light and warms us, our life situations can block out the Lord and the light He provides, the light that gives us direction and comfort and hope.

Given all this, consider these truths.

First, anytime the dark clouds block out the sun, we have to remember that it is still there. It never left us and is ready to break through the clouds and send the light of its rays upon us at first opportunity.

The second truth is like this but different.

For anytime life brings dark clouds upon you, the Lord is still there, even if you have trouble seeing Him. He is ever near to you and only a prayer away. This is what makes this scenario different from the worldly nature example. We are not held hostage by our circumstances, unable to see the Lord until they clear. No, we can allow the Lord to break through our difficult times immediately. We just need to place Him ahead of them in our hearts, minds, and souls.

The psalmist frames this fact perfectly in the passage for this devotion. Look at the things he was up against:

1. Scheming.

Those who devise wicked schemes are near.

2. Suffering.

Look on my suffering.

3. Danger.

Preserve my life, Lord.

4. Persecution.

Many are the foes who persecute me.

This was his list. I’m sure you could make your own up.

Why is this important?

Because when we sit down and take account of all the things that bring us hardship, we identify the things that could possibly lead us to a separation from the Lord, things that might block out the Son in our lives. In order to defend yourself properly, you need to know who the enemy is.

Now go back to the passage and see these words from the psalmist. For although trouble was around him, he knew the Lord was closer. Look at these words:

Those who devise wicked schemes are near, but they are far from Your law. Yet you are near, Lord, and all your commands are true. Salvation is far from the wicked, for they do not seek out Your decrees.

Do you see the near and far of life portrayed here?

The things that would afflict us, and especially the people who afflict us, are not nearer than the Lord is to us. The wicked appear near but they are really far, far from the Lord and His will and way and salvation. Conversely, the Lord is near, greater than anything we’re currently going through or will go through in the future. His almighty power is always present and available. A power we need to tap into and draw near to when we are trying to persevere through our challenges.

The psalmist did this. He remained close to the Lord despite his adversity and he did so because he knew he would receive the following things by doing so:

1. Communication and preservation.

Hear my voice in accordance with Your love; preserve my life, Lord, according to Your laws.

2. Truth.

You are near, Lord, and all Your commands are true.

3. Enduring guidance and direction.

Long ago I learned from your statutes that you established them to last forever.

4. Deliverance.

Look on my suffering and deliver me.

5. Defense.

Defend my cause.

6. Compassion and redemption.

Your compassion, Lord, is great. Redeem me.

7. Love.

Preserve my life, Lord, in accordance with Your love.

Friends, in the Lord, we have a preserving, delivering, defending, redeeming Father who guides us in truth now and forever. And He does it out of an uncompromising compassion and love for us.

If you’re not experiencing this today, then you need to look up and see the light of the Son shining through your darkness, for He is always with you and ever near.

Amen.

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it.

Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk@aol.com

No comments: