Saturday, March 9, 2013

NOTHING IS HIDDEN

Can I pray for you in any way? Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk.com.

In Christ, Mark

The scriptures. May God bless the reading of His holy word.

Rulers persecute me without cause, but my heart trembles at Your word.

I rejoice in Your promise like one who finds great spoil. I hate and detest falsehood but I love Your law. Seven times a day I praise you for Your righteous laws. Great peace have those who love Your law, and nothing can make them stumble.

I wait for Your salvation, Lord, and I follow Your commands. I obey Your statutes, for I love them greatly. I obey Your precepts and Your statutes, for all my ways are known to You.

Psalm 119:161-168

This ends this reading from God's holy word. Thanks be to God.

As a rule, I don’t like films but of the ones I have watched, I would like to share with you some observations.

First, there are horror films, probably my least favorite of all genres. In the ones I have managed to watch, think one of the scariest scenarios is when a person is being pursued by something or someone and finds themselves cornered with no avenue of escape. The victims try their best to hide and avoid detection but most of the time they are discovered by their adversary and end up facing their fate.

Then there are those films where there is secret being kept. One person wishes to keep something from others but in the course of the story, the secret is discovered much to the detriment of the one harboring it. And often, this discovery brings consequences or hurt or embarrassment and scorn on the one who was keeping something concealed.

What we find in both these instances is that things that are hidden usually don’t remain that way. Despite one’s best efforts, what is done under the cloak of secrecy becomes exposed.

How does this apply to our lives as believers in the Lord Most High?

Well, we need to understand that there is nothing hidden from the Lord for everything we do in His sight.
Truly, there is nowhere we can go that the Lord doesn’t go with us and nothing we can do that He doesn’t see.

You see, our Lord is not only omnipresent, meaning He is in all places, but He is also omniscient, which means He is all knowing. How can He be both? He can because He is omnipotent and has the power to do all things to include being everywhere and knowing everything.

Given all this, we need to remember this: the Lord sees everything we do. With Him, nothing is hidden.

The psalmist understood this truth well before we did. Look at his words in this passage from the 119th Psalm:

Rulers persecute me without cause, but my heart trembles at Your word.

I rejoice in Your promise like one who finds great spoil. I hate and detest falsehood but I love Your law. Seven times a day I praise you for Your righteous laws. Great peace have those who love Your law, and nothing can make them stumble.

I wait for Your salvation, Lord, and I follow Your commands. I obey Your statutes, for I love them greatly. I obey Your precepts and Your statutes, for all my ways are known to You.

Note some key phrases here:

1. “My heart trembles at Your word.”
2. “Great peace have those who love Your law, and nothing can make them stumble.”
2. “I obey Your precepts and Your statutes, for all my ways are known to You.”

The psalmist understood the ways of the Lord and it drove his behavior. God gave us this word to bring us to understanding as well and then adjust our behavior as need be to align ourselves obediently with God’s will and way as disclosed through His word.

The psalmist first understood that all of his ways were known to the Lord. 

Have you thought about that lately? I mean, have you really stopped to consider that there is nothing that you have done that the Lord hasn’t known?

Not a thought. Not a word spoken. Not an action taken.

All our ways are known to Him and this kept the psalmist anchored in obedience. In fact, his heart trembled at the hearing of God’s word, mostly because it convicted him of the sinner he was and the consequences that God brought to those who sinned unrepentantly. Rather than live in guilt, the psalmist chose to live in peace, the kind peace that righteous living brings to those who conform their lives to be what the Lord desires. He also realized that obedience to following the will and way of the Lord kept him from stumbling into sin in his life. The Lord always kept him walking the right and righteous path when the psalmist followed His guidance and direction.

Friends, we should be living fearfully, knowing the Lord sees everything we do. Nothing is hidden from His sight and that should compel us to commit to live in accordance with His word and way. As Christians, this means living like Jesus who told us He is the Way and the Truth and the Life, the only way to the Father (John 14:6).

In sum, being Christian is being Christ-like and Jesus was always about His Father’s business.  We need to be likewise, for when we are about His business, we need not worry that He is watching as everything He will see will be of Him and thus pleasing in His sight – and that’s the place we always need to be.

Amen.

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it.

Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk@aol.com

No comments: