Friday, August 17, 2012

STANDING ON THE ROCK

Can I pray for you in any way? Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk@aol.com.

In Christ, Mark

The scriptures. May God bless the reading of His holy word.

As for God, His way is perfect: The Lord’s word is flawless; He shields all who take refuge in Him.
For who is God besides the Lord? And who is the Rock except our God? It is God who arms me with strength and keeps my way secure. He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; He causes me to stand on the heights. He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze. You make Your saving help my shield, and Your right hand sustains me; Your help has made me great. You provide a broad path for my feet, so that my ankles do not give way.

I pursued my enemies and overtook them; I did not turn back till they were destroyed. I crushed them so that they could not rise; they fell beneath my feet. You armed me with strength for battle; You humbled my adversaries before me. You made my enemies turn their backs in flight, and I destroyed my foes. They cried for help, but there was no one to save them — to the Lord, but He did not answer. I beat them as fine as windblown dust; I trampled them like mud in the streets. You have delivered me from the attacks of the people; You have made me the head of nations. People I did not know now serve me, foreigners cower before me; as soon as they hear of me, they obey me. They all lose heart; they come trembling from their strongholds.

The Lord lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be God my Savior! He is the God who avenges me, who subdues nations under me, who saves me from my enemies. You exalted me above my foes; from a violent man you rescued me. Therefore I will praise you, Lord, among the nations; I will sing the praises of your name. He gives his king great victories; He shows unfailing love to his anointed, to David and to his descendants forever.

Psalm 18:30-50

This ends this reading from God's holy word. Thanks be to God.

Have you ever been unsettled, in a time of life when the only certainty you had was that things were uncertain?

I know I have and in fact are going through one of those times right now. Life can be like that for us. One minute all is well and we seem to be on firm footing and then circumstances come along and we feel like we’re no longer on a solid foundation, things can feel like they are slipping away from us or maybe we even feel like we’re sinking in a arising situation. It’s not a fun place to be. Maybe you can relate.

David had his firm foundation shaken on more than one occasion. His secure reign over Israel in Jerusalem became very insecure on several occasions, so much so that he had to flee to preserve his life and rule. And there has to be no greater unsettling feeling that being on the run from someone who wants to do you harm.

Yes, David experienced uncertainty in his life but he also experienced deliverance and the saving grace and power of the only One who can keep us on solid ground even when everything around us seems to be shifting.

For as we read the conclusion of the 18th Psalm, we find that David came to know the Lord God Almighty as His Rock, the place he could stand and find rescue and refuge from what might come against him in life. David saw God for who He was and is and will always be – perfect, shielding and protecting, exalted and praiseworthy, the provider of strength and security.  

Question: Do you see God this way in your life? Do you show unquestionable trust in Him and His ability to handle any problem or situation you’re going through?

If the answer is no, then you’re probably struggling, struggling to try and reason things out on your own, seeking protection and liberation from the wrong sources, wondering if you’ll ever find your way out of the confusion that trials bring and return to normalcy.

But if the answer is yes, then you are standing on the Rock and are ready to handle and endure life’s storms. You have chosen to weather your issues through faith in the God who can do all things, the God through which nothing is impossible. You have decided to build on the only foundation that will stand the test of time, now and forever.

In closing, consider the words of Jesus as He provided His first teaching during the Sermon on the Mount:

“Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.” When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at His teaching, because He taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law. Matthew 7:24-29

As Christians, we are to trust in the Rock of our salvation, the Rock of our protection, the Rock who is our foundation in life. If you’re not standing on the foundation of Jesus Christ today, why not choose to set His solid and unshakable base under your feet today? Then, you, just as those who are already standing on the Rock today, can sing with praise the words of this classic hymn:

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.

On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.

When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.

His oath, His covenant, His blood
Support me in the whelming flood;
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my hope and stay.

On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh, may I then in Him be found;
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.

On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.

Amen.

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it.

Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk@aol.com

No comments: