Monday, August 13, 2012

DO YOU HAVE ALL YOU WANT?

Can I pray for you in any way? Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk@aol.com.

In Christ, Mark

The scriptures. May God bless the reading of His holy word.

Protect me, Lord God! I run to You for safety, and I have said, “Only You are my Lord! Every good thing I have is a gift from You.”

Your people are wonderful, and they make me happy, but worshipers of other gods will have much sorrow. I refuse to offer sacrifices of blood to those gods or worship in their name.

You, Lord, are all I want! You are my choice, and You keep me safe. You make my life pleasant, and my future is bright.

Psalm 16:1-6 (CEV)

This ends this reading from God's holy word. Thanks be to God.

I can remember my younger days and some of my first lessons on financial management from my parents. When I would get a little money and contemplate spending it, they would take the time and talk to me about being cautious about how you use your money. They would explain that there are things you need (or things you can’t do without) and things you want (things you can do without). They taught me that honest discernment was required to be able to effectively differentiate between a need and want.

As I grew up, I realized how much wisdom my parents had in teaching me the best way to manage the precious money the Lord would provide me. And I came to see that if I only focused most on what I really needed, then I had plenty of money remaining to use to the glory of God. In other words, I learned not to want for anything.

Now, maybe that seems crazy and you’ll may say, “It’s impossible to not want something” but I believe David reveals how we can do just that in his words from the opening verses of the 16th Psalm. For in considering the matter of wanting, look at what David shared:

You, Lord, are all I want! You are my choice, and You keep me safe. You make my life pleasant, and my future is bright.

Wow! Did that impact you as it did me?

It’s just too simple isn’t it? In order to not be in want for things, we first have to acknowledge the only thing we should ever want – a personal relationship with the Lord Most High. David, a man after God’s own heart, discovered that God was all he really needed. Yes, the world would offer a lot of things that he could covet but what would be more precious and valuable to him than God?

Indeed, the same stands for you and me today. We, like David, should be finding all we want in a personal relationship with the Lord. He should be our one and only choice, our one and only longing, our one and only desire. For who else protects and keeps us safe? Who else makes our life pleasant and blessed? Who else gives us every good and perfect gift (James 1:17)? And who else seals our eternal future through the salvation offered through Jesus?

God and God alone, that’s who.

Question: Do you have all that you want?

If not, then maybe you haven’t yet turned to the One who is all you need.   

Amen.

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it.

Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk@aol.com

No comments: