Sunday, May 7, 2023

THE IMPORTANCE OF HAVING A CHRISTIAN ROLE MODEL

Can I pray for you in any way?

Send any prayer requests to Gods4all@aol.com

In Christ, Mark

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

** Follow The Christian Walk on Twitter @ThChristianWalk

** Like posts and send friend requests to the author of The Christian Walk, Mark Cummings on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/mark.cummings.733?ref=tn_tnmn

** Become a Follower of The Christian Walk at http://the-christian-walk.blogspot.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The scriptures. May God bless the reading of His holy word.

Join together in following my example, brothers and sisters, and just as you have us as a model, keep your eyes on those who live as we do.

Philippians 3:17

This ends this reading from God's holy word. Thanks be to God.

Do you have a Christian role model, someone you look up to and seek to emulate?

I have had several, the most memorable being pastors.

My first was a childhood pastor. Reverend Darr Briggs, in my small hometown of Brookville, Pennsylvania. I remember how he took such an interest in my spiritual growth as a youth from my earlier years through my confirmation and into my teen years where I was encouraged to be involved in worship as an acolyte and trumpet accompanist for the choir. Reverend Briggs laid the foundation for my Christian faith and for that I am so very grateful.

My next spiritual role model was another pastor, the Reverend Dick Keever. He was a great encouragement to me in my adult Christian development and it was because of him that I felt inspired to minister myself. Under his tutelage, I became a Sunday School teacher and was also asked to preach on a couple occasions. I also discovered my gift as a vocalist under Reverend Keever and performed my first solo, Lamb of God, at his church.

One thing about Reverend Keever that always impressed me was his love for people. He had this uncanny ability to remember those he met and amazed me in that he could meet a person one time and would recall their name immediately the next time he encountered him. This talent was astounding to me and I often wondered how he did it but I really feel it was because he cared. It was as simple as that and I learned the importance of valuing people through observing him in his ministry work.

Finally, there was Pastor Mark Pullen. He welcomed Grace and I to the Baptist denomination after we had been Presbyterian for many years and made us feel so welcome. He was warm in spirit and it was obvious that this was because he had the Holy Spirit firmly embedded in him. All you needed to do was hear this man preach and you would know that.

Pastor Pullen loved Jesus and had a strong passion for the Gospel. He preached with a power that was not his own and was unapologetic in his defense of the scriptures as being the inerrant words of God. Through his sermons, I grew in my ability as a Christian teacher, writer, and preacher when I had the opportunity to deliver messages.

As you read my testimonies, maybe you have some Christian role models of your own that come to mind. I hope you will leave a comment and share your story with my readers.

The Apostle Paul strived to be a spiritual role model for others. In fact, he had started many of the churches he wrote to, bringing the Gospel to people who had never heard of Jesus before. To those who accepted Jesus as Savior after Paul’s teaching and preaching, the Apostle became their mentor and role model. After all, there weren’t many others who possessed his knowledge and were strong in the power of the Holy Spirit.

As we see in our scripture verse for today, Paul encourages the Christians in Philippi to continue joining together to follow his example and seek to associate with other Christian believers, those who live as he and his fellow missionaries did. Although he was incarcerated in a Roman prison, Paul knew that he had left enough of an impression on the Philippian believers that they could carry on and grow as a church without him.

As I close this message, I would be remiss in not mentioning that every Christian has a role model, the greatest role model ever. His name is Jesus.

Indeed, we are only Christian because of Christ and all He did to save us. This includes living a full life of 33 years here on this earth and through it, showing us all the way we should live in the full sight and presence of our God. Jesus was the only person who ever lived a perfectly sinless life and with this, we will never anyone better to conform our own lives to.

In the end translation, no one can say they don’t have a Christian to use as an example to follow. Yes, God places wonderful, anointed people in our lives as we travel on our Christian walk, people who bless us richly, but none of them are greater or more important than our Savior Jesus. We should always seek to emulate Him first.

Amen.

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Feel free to leave a comment and please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it. Send any prayer requests to Gods4all@aol.com

No comments: