Thursday, May 18, 2023

THE DISCLOSED SECRET TO CONTENTMENT

Can I pray for you in any way?

Send any prayer requests to Gods4all@aol.com

In Christ, Mark

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

** Follow The Christian Walk on Twitter @ThChristianWalk

** Like posts and send friend requests to the author of The Christian Walk, Mark Cummings on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/mark.cummings.733?ref=tn_tnmn

** Become a Follower of The Christian Walk at http://the-christian-walk.blogspot.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The scriptures. May God bless the reading of His holy word.

I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.

I can do all this through Him who gives me strength.

Philippians 4:10-13

This ends this reading from God's holy word. Thanks be to God.

Live life long enough and you will find that it has its ups and downs. I certainly have found this to be the truth.

Looking back in retrospect, there were some extremely tough times, times when I was struggling emotionally and financially after experiencing adultery and the subsequent end to my first marriage. I walked through the valley for nearly as I tried to piece my life back together again.

But then things changed. The Lord brought me to a woman who would be faithful, a Christian woman who showed me how to trust and love again. I reignited my passion for the Lord and from that point on He has blessed me with what I need for more than 30 years now.

Indeed, I can relate to the words of the Apostle Paul as he testifies in the fourth chapter of his letter to the Christians in Philippi. Look again at what he says in verses 10 through 13:

I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.

I can do all this through Him who gives me strength.

The Philippian believers were concerned for Paul’s well being as he sat imprisoned in a Roman jail and the Apostle was grateful but note he lets his brother and sisters know that he’s okay because he had learned how to be content, regardless of his circumstances. Paul knew how it felt to be in need but he also knew times when he experienced plenty. He had gone through times of hunger but he also had period when he was well fed.

Indeed, life ebbed and flowed for Paul but through these ups and downs, he learned one very important thing. He learned the secret to be content, no matter his circumstances.

What was that secret?

Well, thankfully Paul tells the Philippian Christians (and us) in verse 13:

I can do all this through Him who gives me strength.

Some translations of this verse name Christ by name as the strength provider and with Paul proclaiming that he could do all things through Him. This is the translation of verse 13, I like the most because Jesus is (and will always be) the One we need to turn to in times of need.

When we need encouragement to carry on, we need to turn to Christ.

When we need provision so our basic needs are met, we must turn to Christ who will provide.

When things are going well, we would be remiss in not turning to Christ and give thanks for His goodness.

And when we need to conquer death and the grave after this worldly life ends, it is Christ who brings us salvation.

As Christians, we need to put or whole mind’s attention and heart’s affection on Christ Jesus for He is the disclosed secret who brings contentment, the One who shows us we can endure and persevere through any life situation through His perfect strength.   

Amen.

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Feel free to leave a comment and please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it. Send any prayer requests to Gods4all@aol.com

No comments: