Saturday, July 16, 2022

COMFORT FOR THE DOWNCAST

Can I pray for you in any way?

Send any prayer requests to Gods4all@aol.com

In Christ, Mark

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

** Follow The Christian Walk on Twitter @ThChristianWalk

** Like posts and send friend requests to the author of The Christian Walk, Mark Cummings on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/mark.cummings.733?ref=tn_tnmn

** Become a Follower of The Christian Walk at http://the-christian-walk.blogspot.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The scriptures. May God bless the reading of His holy word.

For when we came into Macedonia, we had no rest, but we were harassed at every turn—conflicts on the outside, fears within. But God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus, and not only by his coming but also by the comfort you had given him. He told us about your longing for me, your deep sorrow, your ardent concern for me, so that my joy was greater than ever.

2 Corinthians 7:5-7

This ends today’s reading from God's holy word. Thanks be to God.

It’s been a rough week. I am always busy but this week exceeded the norm, leaving me feeling down and exhausted after meeting all the many challenges of the past seven days. I needed a real pick me up, an injection of reassurance and encouragement.

Have you ever been in such a place? Maybe you’re there as you read this.

Well, I have to report that today, the Lord delivered to meet my needs and in a big way. First, He brought me a good night’s rest, rest that could be extended because I am off work today. Then, after He restored by physical and mental strength, He fully engaged my spiritual side as I sat and worked on the Sunday school lesson I will teach tomorrow. Engaging with the word of God and the Holy Spirit filled up my spiritual fuel tank to overflow and brought me to a place of great energetic joy. I was reminded how I am never more pumped up in life than when I am fully engaged with my Lord while doing His work and will.

As we turn to our two verses today from 2 Corinthians, chapter 7, we find Paul testifying about his own time of need for encouragement and a pick-me-up. He gained it from multiple sources, all provided by the Lord. Take a look again at his words here:

For when we came into Macedonia, we had no rest, but we were harassed at every turn—conflicts on the outside, fears within. But God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus, and not only by his coming but also by the comfort you had given him. He told us about your longing for me, your deep sorrow, your ardent concern for me, so that my joy was greater than ever. vv. 5-7

Macedonia was a region north of Corinth. It’s where you find the city of Thessalonica.

By his own admission, Paul and those who were traveling with him came into the region tired. They weren’t at their best and vulnerable when they came under harassment “at every turn”, facing “conflicts on the outside” that resulted in “fears within”. He and the others needed help and God delivered.

We know this because Paul shares how the Lord brought them all comfort by sending Titus who shared how the Corinthian Christians had brought comfort to him while he was with them. Paul learned that God, the One who brings comfort to the downcast, had delivered for Titus and now was delivering for him and his ministry counterparts in Macedonia. For Titus brought more word from Corinth, that they were longing for Paul to return there and were showing ardent concern for Paul’s well being. I’m certain they were expressing this concern through prayers to the Lord on Paul’s behalf because this is one way that all believers should be showing concern for others, by interceding for needs via prayer to the One who can meet every need.

Paul’s need for comfort was satisfied by the Lord who brings comfort to the downcast. If you run down today by your life circumstances, I encourage you to turn to the word of God and allow it and the Holy Spirit to speak to your heart. I promise you that the Lord will meet you where you are and bring you encouragement and hope, lifting your spirits and providing you the assurance that He is with you and for you, in good times and bad.

Amen.

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Feel free to leave a comment and please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it.
Send any prayer requests to Gods4all@aol.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent Word! On time and Spirit lead!