Tuesday, May 31, 2022

THE WAY TO DIVINE DISCERNMENT

Can I pray for you in any way?

Send any prayer requests to Gods4all@aol.com

In Christ, Mark

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

** Follow The Christian Walk on Twitter @ThChristianWalk

** Like posts and send friend requests to the author of The Christian Walk, Mark Cummings on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/mark.cummings.733?ref=tn_tnmn

** Become a Follower of The Christian Walk at http://the-christian-walk.blogspot.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The scriptures. May God bless the reading of His holy word.

I call God as my witness—and I stake my life on it—that it was in order to spare you that I did not return to Corinth. Not that we lord it over your faith, but we work with you for your joy, because it is by faith you stand firm.

So I made up my mind that I would not make another painful visit to you. For if I grieve you, who is left to make me glad but you whom I have grieved? I wrote as I did, so that when I came I would not be distressed by those who should have made me rejoice. I had confidence in all of you, that you would all share my joy. For I wrote you out of great distress and anguish of heart and with many tears, not to grieve you but to let you know the depth of my love for you.

2 Corinthians 1:23-2:4

This ends today’s reading from God's holy word. Thanks be to God.

There are things we want to do but then are things we want to do but shouldn’t do.

How do we know the difference between the two?

Sometimes it comes down to divine discernment.

There used to be a cartoon on television where a character came to a decision making crossroads. They wanted to do something but had this feeling they shouldn’t. At that moment of consideration, a little white angel appeared out of nowhere on the character’s shoulder saying something like this:

“Now, you know that you shouldn’t do this because it isn’t right.”

And then just as suddenly as the angel appeared, a little red devil appeared on the opposite shoulder saying:

“Do it! Do it! You know you want to do it!”

You know, as funny as that was, it was closer to the truth than we may want to admit. For as much as the Lord is trying to get us to go in one direction, Satan is always trying to move us the opposite way. In the end translation, we simply have to listen to and follow the Lord’s guidance for He and He alone brings us divine discernment. It’s the only way we can know our actions are proper and pleasing in His sight.

As we have seen earlier in the first chapter of 2 Corinthians, Paul wanted to return to Corinth. It was his desire to do so and he would have done it if left to his own devices. But Paul also was well conditions through his ministry work to divorce his own wants and exchange them for the Lord’s. He knew that the Lord has never led him wrong and never would as long as he placed his trust in Him.

So as much as Paul wanted to go back to Corinth, he chose not to. He felt the visit would be too painful after his prior visit where there was a great disturbance within the Corinthian church, one that brought Paul offense as his authority as an apostle was brought into question. Using divine discernment, he chose to not allow those who should have made him rejoice bring him distress instead.

Paul made it clear to the Corinthians that he held a deep love for them and this was all the more reason why he felt it better to stay away. He wanted the best for them and felt that visiting the Corinthians wouldn’t provide that. And so with great anguish of heart, Paul chose to stay away with God as his witness but even more so his guide.

As we ponder the things we should do in life, we need to follow Paul’s lead. For the ways we think are best are not always the best ways nor the ways the Lord want us to go. We should always be consulting the Lord and then proceeding as He wants for this is the only way to divine discernment.

Amen.

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Feel free to leave a comment and please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it.
Send any prayer requests to Gods4all@aol.com

No comments: