Monday, February 19, 2018

LOST AND FOUND



Can I pray for you in any way?

Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk@aol.com.
In Christ, Mark
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
** Follow The Christian Walk on Twitter @ThChristianWalk
** Like posts and send friend requests to the author of The Christian Walk, Mark Cummings on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/mark.cummings.733?ref=tn_tnmn
** Become a Follower of The Christian Walk at http://the-christian-walk.blogspot.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The scriptures. May God bless the reading of His holy word.

“Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins and loses one. Doesn’t she light a lamp, sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it? And when she finds it, she calls her friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost coin.’ In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

Luke 15:8-10

This ends today’s reading from God's holy word. Thanks be to God.

I wonder if you’ve ever done something like I did the other day.

I had gone to the dollar store and picked up a couple of items. I went up to the cashier who rung up my things at the register and told me I owed $2 and 12 cents. Well, I reached into my pocket and grabbed a couple of ones and then checked my change. I only had eleven cents, one penny short.

So did I immediately grab another $1 bill from my wallet and get a lot of change back in return?

Not exactly because the first thing I did was look to see if there were one of those “leave a penny, take a penny” trays but as luck would have it, there wasn’t one. And so I did the next best thing.

I looked to see if someone had maybe inadvertently dropped one of those pesky copper coins on the ground and, much to my delight, I fixed my eyes on one such penny which was just waiting to be found.

And with that, I scooped it up, added it to what I had and I was good to go. Paid for my items, got my receipt, and was out the door, rejoicing over my found penny.

Okay…hold that story in thought for a moment because we’re coming back to it. For now, I need to go back in time to a place I think we all are at some time in my life.

I remember the time for me was in my twenties and as I was growing into becoming an adult, I languished quite a bit while trying to figure out who I was, what my purpose was in life, and how I fit into the big scheme of things in the world.

In order to settle my quandary, I tried all kind of things while seeking my comfort zone and niche in life.

First, I tried to rely on myself to figure out who I was, trying to find myself on my own. That ended up being a fruitless effort.

Next, I tried to turn to any number of people who I hoped would help me find myself but none of them could provide me what I was looking for.

Looking back now, it all was an exercise in frustration and futility. For my pursuit was grounded in hopelessness because the truth of the matter was that I was lost and there was no way I could find myself.

Instead, I had to be found. Just like that penny at the dollar store.

With all this as a backdrop, let’s move to our scripture verses and a look one of Jesus’ many parables. In this illustration, we find our Savior telling of a woman who was looking for her lost coin. Look again at these verses here:

“Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins and loses one. Doesn’t she light a lamp, sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it? And when she finds it, she calls her friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost coin.’ In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.” Luke 15:8-10

I think it’s important to remember that the homes in Jesus’ say often had no windows. There would not be natural light inside and so when the woman loses one of her silver coins, falling somewhere onto the dark floor, she would need a light to find it. Further, she would need to sweep the floor in order to help bring the coin out of hiding where it might be seen.

Note here that the lost silver coin cannot find itself, no more than I could when I was growing up or the penny could on the dollar store floor. The coin would remain lost unless someone went looking for it and found it.

What was the woman’s reaction upon finding her lost coin?

It was sheer elation and rejoicing as she calls her friends and neighbors to share the good news with them, anticipating they will celebrate with her. For her lost coin, that was once lost, was now found.

So what does this have to do with Christianity and the cause of Jesus?

It has everything to do with it.

For Jesus caps off His parable with its meaning and the central point He was trying to drive home through His teaching saying:

“In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

The silver coin would have remained lost unless it had someone looking for it. It could not rescue itself from its fallen state.

The same applies to every person who has ever lived. Like the lost coin, they go through life unrescued unless someone searches for and finds them.

Thanks be to God that Jesus never stops searching for the lost “coins” within creation. And when one who was lost is found, when a sinner repents and finds their salvation and new life in Christ, then there is great rejoicing in the presence of the angels, a divine version of the woman celebrating with her friends and neighbors over her salvaged piece of silver.

Friends, like that woman, we are to be constantly searching for people who are lost and need to be found, sinners who can’t save themselves but once found can be saved by Jesus, their Savior. We need to be shining the light of the Lord into the darkest places and sweeping the floors of our communities to reveal those in need of rescue and then connect them to their Great Rescuer.

The call is not optional. It is actually was given as a command before Jesus ascended to sit at His Father’s right hand:

“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:19-20

The search for the lost is one that is ongoing and will be until Jesus returns. Until then, He is with us until the end of the age, helping those who have gone astray to be discovered and found, not just temporarily but forever.

Amen.

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Feel free to leave a comment and please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it.
Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk@aol.com

No comments: