Friday, October 23, 2015

A SERVANT’S RÉSUMÉ



Can I pray for you in any way? Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk@aol.com.

In Christ, Mark
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
** Follow The Christian Walk on Twitter @ThChristianWalk
** Like posts and send friend requests to the author of The Christian Walk, Mark Cummings on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/mark.cummings.733?ref=tn_tnmn
** Become a Follower of The Christian Walk at http://the-christian-walk.blogspot.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The scriptures. May God bless the reading of His holy word.

Lord, You understand; remember me and care for me. Avenge me on my persecutors. You are long-suffering—do not take me away; think of how I suffer reproach for your sake. When Your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart’s delight, for I bear Your name, Lord God Almighty. I never sat in the company of revelers, never made merry with them; I sat alone because Your hand was on me and You had filled me with indignation.”

“Why is my pain unending and my wound grievous and incurable? You are to me like a deceptive brook, like a spring that fails.”

Therefore this is what the Lord says:

“If you repent, I will restore you that you may serve Me; if you utter worthy, not worthless, words, you will be My spokesman. Let this people turn to you, but you must not turn to them.”

Jeremiah 15:15-19

This ends today’s reading from God's holy word. Thanks be to God.

Have you ever written a résumé?

If you’ve looked for a job within the last decade or so you have.

It used to be you would only have to apply for a job at one time but these days, a résumé is standard, sometimes even in addition to an application.

In its most fundamental sense, the résumé we create is a synopsis of who we are in relation to the job we are pursuing. Potential employers will scan over it to see if your skills and work experience make you the best candidate to fill the opening they have.

Match those requirements and your chances of being hired are high. Come up short and you’re probably in for rejection.  

With this as a backdrop, we look at a conversation between God and his appointed prophet, Jeremiah. It’s an interesting exchange because within it, we get a sense of what God is looking for on the résumés of those who seek to be employed as His servants. Look again at these verses and then we’ll look at the specific qualities God is looking for as He seeks people to go to work for Him:

“Lord, You understand; remember me and care for me. Avenge me on my persecutors. You are long-suffering—do not take me away; think of how I suffer reproach for your sake. When Your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart’s delight, for I bear Your name, Lord God Almighty. I never sat in the company of revelers, never made merry with them; I sat alone because Your hand was on me and You had filled me with indignation.”

“Why is my pain unending and my wound grievous and incurable? You are to me like a deceptive brook, like a spring that fails.”

Therefore this is what the Lord says:

“If you repent, I will restore you that you may serve Me; if you utter worthy, not worthless, words, you will be My spokesman. Let this people turn to you, but you must not turn to them.”  Jeremiah 15:15-19

Looking at Jeremiah’s ways and the Lord’s expectations for him, we can see the following qualifications required of any servant of the Lord:

1. They have to be willing to suffer for His name and for His sake.

“Lord, You understand; remember me and care for me. Avenge me on my persecutors. You are long-suffering—do not take me away; think of how I suffer reproach for your sake.”

Being a prophet wasn’t an easy job.

You were required to bring God’s message to His people even if it was bad news, and unfortunately it often was.

When that bad news was delivered, the people of God had two choices: receive it, repent, and turn from their ways or reject it and persecute the messenger (maybe this is where the saying, “Don’t shoot the messenger”, first came into play). In Jeremiah’s case, it was obvious that the Israelites turned on him and, as a result and by his own confession, he suffered reproach and rebuke for God’s sake.

Today, believers are still suffering persecution, even death, for going forth boldly in the name of the Lord, following not only in the steps of Jeremiah, but Jesus Himself. And we shouldn’t be surprised because Jesus told us to expect it even going as far to say that Christian disciples would be hated because He was despised during His ministry years on earth.

Perhaps we’ll know best that we are properly carrying out the Lord’s work when we experience the persecution that will rise up in opposition to it.

2. They have to delight in the Lord’s words, all of them, even if they convey bad news instead of good.

When Your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart’s delight, for I bear Your name, Lord God Almighty.

Note here that the prophet didn’t say that he liked some of God’s words conveyed to him more than others. No. Jeremiah’s heart delighted in receiving all of the words God gave him. He rejoiced in digesting them as he tried to grow in the righteousness of the Lord, never afraid to bear His precious and holy name as a banner for his life and his work.

We should do likewise today. For Jesus, our Savior, quoted scriptures from the Old Testament book of Deuteronomy (chapter 8, verse 3) when He stated:

“Man shall not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.” Matthew 4:4

Any true servant of God needs to heed these words that were spoken and lived out by the only perfect servant who ever lived.

3. They have to avoid being adversely influenced into sin.

“I never sat in the company of revelers, never made merry with them; I sat alone because Your hand was on me and You had filled me with indignation.”

It would have been easy for Jeremiah to hang out with the Israelites. After all, he was one of them. But there were many ways that the prophet was different from the masses. While he was fiercely devoted and dedicated to God, completely loyal to Him, the people of Israel were blatantly sinning against God with seemingly no worry of it. They had adopted false gods and idols that they were worshipping, ignoring and rejecting God’s most primary command to not have any gods before Him. Through their behavior, they were the anti-Jeremiahs and so the prophet chose to not be in their company and sided with the Lord instead. Smart move.

We need to learn from this trait found in Jeremiah. Too often, we fail to discriminate who we connect ourselves to and become disempowered in our faith and guilty by association more often or not when we are in the company of people who do not share our same Christian values and principles. If we hope to work for the Lord in servitude, we need to be able to divorce ourselves from partnering with the wicked and maintain a standard that asks people to become more like we are rather than the other way around.

It’s important enough that God reinforced it as He gave guidance to Jeremiah saying:

“Let this people turn to you, but you must not turn to them.” 

4. They never fail to repent.

“If you repent, I will restore you that you may serve Me.”

Note here that the Lord is now adding qualities that He desired His servant to have and perhaps none were more important than repentance.

No servant of God could expect to be taken seriously if they were sinning just like everyone else. That’s why anyone who decides to be unrepentant has no place going forward for the Lord to accomplish anything. God expects His workers to go forth in righteousness and a pure spirit and by confessing our sins, we show God we are sorry for our errors and acknowledge He is our only source of true pardon and exoneration.

5. They speak worthy words.

“If you utter worthy, not worthless, words, you will be My spokesman.”

The only way to speak worthy words is to tap into someone who can provide them to you and that someone will always be the Lord God Almighty. For when we offer ourselves up to Him and ask Him to speak through us, then His words become our words because we are just am instrument through which He is doing all His work, in action and in word. A true spokesman of the Lord is never speaking of his own accord but rather the very words of God Himself, words that are always the most treasured and richest, words that are always worthy and never worthless.

And there you have it, five key necessities that any potential laborer for the Lord needs to have.

How well would your spiritual résumé qualify you to become God’s servant?

Amen.

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it.

Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk@aol.com

No comments: