Sunday, February 24, 2008

THE SHEEP AND THE GOOD SHEPHERD

Can I pray for you in any way? Send any prayer requests to faithhopegodlove@aol.com In Christ, Mark

In lieu of an entry from Exodus today, I am posting the sermon I delivered at my parent’s church, Good Shepherd United Methodist, in Hazen, Pennsylvania. Hope you enjoy it.

The Sheep and the Good Shepherd

Since Lent is supposed to be a time of reflection about Jesus and how we can change our lives to be more like Him, I began to reflect on what to write about and say to you today. I began to think about your church and how it’s been such a blessing to my family now for around 15 years. And as I thought about the church, the first thing that came to mind is its wonderful name…Good Shepherd United Methodist.

It was this name that led me to today’s message as I began to think about this congregation as a flock under the guidance and protection of the Good Shepherd and so my remarks today are intended to focus on our place in Creation and our purpose under the Almighty Protector and Provider you have named your church after…the Good Shepherd, Jesus Christ.

But before we can start talking about a shepherd…any shepherd, let alone the Good Shepherd…we need to talk about sheep. I mean after all, isn’t a shepherd a little useless without sheep. To use a Naval analogy…it would sort of be like a Navy Captain with a mighty ship and no Sailors to man it.

So let’s talk about sheep…and when we discuss sheep, we need to see how we share things in common with them. After all, why would the analogy be drawn in the scriptures if we didn’t have a lot of similarities. So bear with me a few moments as I talk about sheep, some of their core behavioral traits and how this connects to us.

First, sheep have a strong instinct to follow. They will follow a shepherd or, in the absence of a shepherd, they will follow another sheep if it decides to stray away from the flock. Bad things typically happen when a sheep tries to lead the flock without a shepherd. In fact, more than a few flocks have fallen off cliffs or drowned in lakes because they followed another sheep who led them the wrong way. Recently, 400 sheep died in eastern Turkey when one of the sheep tried to cross a deep ravine. The rest of the flock followed it.

Like the sheep, we don’t do too well either when we follow someone other than the Good Shepherd. Many people have been led astray and into harm’s way by someone they thought were leading them in the right way. Jesus, our Good Shepherd, warned us to be on the lookout for false teachers and what did He say about them? That they would be wolves in sheep’s clothing. Indeed, we need to be careful to make sure we’re following the Good Shepherd, not Satan…the deceiver who comes as the wolf wearing sheep’s clothing.

The second thing about sheep is that they like to stay together in the company of one another. Or in other words, they like to flock. They do so for companionship and protection because there is power in numbers and they are far less likely to be attacked by a predator when they stay together than if they scatter and stray.

We too are social in nature. We like to have companionship and be around others. We find a sense of comfort and protection when we’re together…far more than we do when we’re alone. In worship, we gather as a flock and bring praise to our Good Shepherd while learning where He wants us to go. Remember that we are followers by nature.

A third thing about sheep. Sheep have a tendency to stray and get lost…and when they do, they are in danger and very vulnerable to attack. We too stray and lose our way. Maybe you can relate. If you’ve strayed in the past, you can testify to how Satan had His way with you while you were out of the care of the Good Shepherd. I know I can. If you are straying right now, run and run as fast as you can back into the arms of Jesus. Because trust these words of Peter when he said: "Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." Don’t offer yourself to the devil as a main course. Run to the waiting arms of the Good Shepherd and never stray again.

Finally, sheep devote more time to eating and sleeping than anything else. As for us…Do I really need to tell you how much we’re alike them in this category? smile

You get the point…we’re more like sheep than we might want to admit and it’s obvious that we are in need of a shepherd just as much as sheep. Praise God that in Jesus, we have a Good Shepherd and we know we have Him because the bible tells us so. Let’s turn to the scriptures to see what they have to say about the Good Shepherd.

Please turn with me to the Gospel of John, Chapter 10, verses 1-16:

"I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. The man who enters by the gate is the shepherd of his sheep. The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger's voice." Jesus used this figure of speech, but they did not understand what he was telling them. Therefore Jesus said again, "I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep. All who ever came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired hand is not the shepherd who owns the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. "I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me—just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd."

From this scripture we see four main points about the Good Shepherd and in place of using the word "sheep" I will insert words that refer to us so we can glean the intent that Jesus meant as He shared this message:

The Good Shepherd leads us…and those who are part of His flock listen to His voice. We know our Shepherd because the Shepherd spends a great deal of time with his flock. He loves His flock and will do anything to ensure they are cared for properly, even if it means dying for them…I’ll touch more on that later. In fact, this Good Shepherd knows us so well that He knows us by name and He leads us to special, holy places.

Please turn with me to six of the most beloved verses in the Old Testament…the 23rd Psalm. David wrote this Psalm over 2,000 years ago and those in Christ Jesus can attest to the truth of His words to this very day. Hear this word of the Lord:

"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."

This Good Shepherd knows us by name and leads us to green pastures…Where we are always nourished and able to rest. When we follow the Good Shepherd, we will always find ourselves fed and resting in comfort.

He also leads us besides quiet waters…and it’s here that we find peace and quench our thirst for holiness…a holiness that can only be found in Him.

He guides us on the paths of righteousness…The Good Shepherd always leads us on the right path. We need not worry about where to go because He guides us where He wants us.

And He is such a strong protector that we can even be led through the valley of the shadow of death and not be fearful. For our Shepherd has a powerful Rod and Staff that will ward off any enemy and no matter how precarious our walk might be with Him, He always knows how to steer us through trouble.

Shouldn’t we just praise God that we have such an awesome Good Shepherd who leads us!

But that isn’t all…

For our Good Shepherd also saves us.

Listen again to the words of our Shepherd from John 10 as He says, "…I am the gate for the sheep. All who ever came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."

When we decide to follow the Good Shepherd and pass through His gate to join His Flock, we are saved! Alleluia! We come in…and go out…and find pasture…not the dead fields of desolation we walked through when we were lost and without purpose but the green pastures of hope we now have through the saving deliverance of the Good Shepherd…the Good Shepherd who came to give us life and life everlasting.

And this leads to the third main point about the Good Shepherd…He willingly died for us. Once again, hear these words from John’s gospel:

"The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired hand is not the shepherd who owns the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. "I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me—just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep."

Notice that we can only be saved by the Good Shepherd. Anyone else who might claim they can save us is no more than a hired hand who will flee when real danger comes near. Only Jesus, the Good Shepherd, can have victory over Satan…who is akin to the wolf who wishes only to attack, scatter and devour the flock. Indeed, the Good Shepherd did lay down His life for us, His sheep…willing to pay the price for our sins and in doing so, delivering us from certain death to life…and He did so willingly because He loved us. Listen to the words of the prophet Isaiah who spoke about the Good Shepherd before He even existed. Isaiah said in Chapter 58, verses 6 through 8:

"We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the Lord has laid on Him (the Good Shepherd) the iniquity of us all. He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; He was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is silent, so He did not open his mouth. By oppression and judgment he was taken away."

Indeed…falsely accused, mocked, beaten, bruised, broken and crucified, the Good Shepherd laid down His life for His sheep…His sheep who had gone astray…for all of us. But even death could not stop the Good Shepherd…No! Because this is no ordinary shepherd…this is a Shepherd who was also the Messiah…our Savior,Redeemer and Friend.

And we know that death could not keep this Good Shepherd…our Good Shepherd in the grave. In fact, our Good Shepherd is still looking to add to His flock. For Jesus said in John 10, "I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd."

Jesus, the Good Shepherd was not stopped at death. Truly, He was just getting started.

So how does this Good Shepherd bring more sheep into His flock? Well, He guides us, His sheep, to help Him find other sheep. Here’s the direction He has given us…I’ll be reading from Matthew 28, verses 16 to 20:

"Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

The Good Shepherd still leads us to green pastures, quiet waters, along paths of rightousness and through the valley of the shadow of death…and all along the way, He has us seek other sheep to join the flock. These sheep have the same opportunity to enter through His gate as we did, the same opportunity to find their own salvation. And once through the gate, they too will come to know and listen to His voice and seek to join us in expanding the flock even more.

So Jesus…the Good Shepherd…leads us, saves us, He died for us, and still seeks to add to His flock through us but there’s one other important point about the Good Shepherd that we must remember. For one day, He is going to return and lead His flock again here on earth. And we know He will return because His word tells us so. Turn to Matthew 25, verses 31-33:

"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left."

Friends…the Good Shepherd may have laid down His life for His sheep but He is returning for His flock at a time when He will gather them for the last time. Never again will they be scattered or lost but they will gather with Him for all eternity.

Question: Are you one of the sheep in the flock of the Good Shepherd? Do you even know Him? If not, today you have a chance to meet Him at the gate, entering the flock and into His care.

If you’re in the flock, how well have you been following the Good Shepherd in your life? Have you strayed and found yourself vulnerable and under attack by Satan?

Well today, I have good news for you. For you can run back into the arms of the Good Shepherd who is ready to take you back into the flock and rejoice over your return.

Friends, your church has a wonderful, blessed name...Good Shepherd. Let us ever praise God for His Son, Jesus, the eternal Good Shepherd…and praise Him as well for watching over and keeping this flock. May He continue to bless you and provide for you all. Amen.

BENEDICTION FROM HEBREWS 13:20-21

May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it.

http://www.faithhopeandlove.info/

Send any prayer requests to faithhopegodlove@aol.com

No comments: