Wednesday, August 23, 2023

MADE AN EXAMPLE OF

Can I pray for you in any way?

Send any prayer requests to TheChristianWalkPrayers@gmail.com.

In Christ, Mark

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

** Follow The Christian Walk on Twitter @ThChristianWalk

** Like posts and send friend requests to the author of The Christian Walk, Mark Cummings on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/mark.cummings.733?ref=tn_tnmn

** Become a Follower of The Christian Walk at http://the-christian-walk.blogspot.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The scriptures. May God bless the reading of His holy word.

Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display His immense patience as an example for those who would believe in Him and receive eternal life.

1 Timothy 1:15-16

This ends this reading from God's holy word. Thanks be to God.

Have you ever had someone make an example of you?

We probably all have gone through this at one time or another because it happens all the time, usually as someone takes a wrong someone has done and tries to make a positive out of it.

My earliest recollection of this is surprisingly when I was in first grade and I say “surprisingly” because I am nearly 60 years departed from that moment and yet it sticks in my memory. In fact, I don’t remember anything else from that first grade year (or even the entirety of my second grade year) except for that one event and I believe it’s because I was made an example of.

It was the last day of school and of course there was an excitement buzzing through the classroom as we were getting ready to enjoy a summer off before moving onto the next grade level. Our teacher wanted to do something nice and so she decided to give us all popcorn as a treat. She had left the room and therefore we were unattended. Unfortunately, this mischievous little boy couldn’t handle the opportunity at hand.

And so, as my teacher returned to the room she was disappointed to find me standing up on top of my desk and dancing on it. After demanding that I come down from there, she proceeded to impose a consequence. I was not allowed to have any of the popcorn and I had to sit at my desk the rest of the period. It wasn’t much fun after that.

Of course, the teacher’s motive was two-fold.

First, she wanted to teach me an important lesson so that I wouldn’t make the same mistake again. I can honestly say that I didn’t so mission accomplished there and obviously the incident has stayed locked in my mind up to now so I have never forgotten what happened.

The second reason for the imposed punishment was that my teacher wanted to let all the other children know that my behavior was unacceptable. She made an example out of me so they wouldn’t do what I did some day. I don’t know if she succeeded but I am sure my fellow classmates watched me sitting incarcerated at my desk while they were free to have fun and were glad they didn’t follow my lead and behaved.

So why go into this matter of being made an example by someone?

Because it is central to our passage today as Paul continues writing to his ministry coworker, Timothy. Look again at those words here:

Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display His immense patience as an example for those who would believe in Him and receive eternal life. 1 Timothy 1:15-16

Arguably more than any other New Testament figure, Jesus made an example out of Paul, taking him from a persecutor and killer of Christians to a selfless servant who dedicated himself to saving those who were perishing in their sin.

Go back to that Damascus road that Paul (then known as Saul) traveled, eager to eradicate the Christian movement in that city. His reputation as a fervent and faithful Jew who was skilled in attacking and disempowering “the Way” was unmatched. That is, until he let his match in Jesus.

You can read all about this encounter in Acts, chapter 9 and you’ll see it was really a one sided affair. Jesus confronted Saul with a light that flashed all around him, a light that drove him to his knees as Jesus asked, “Saul, Saul, why do you persecute Me?”. And after Saul questioned who “He” was, Jesus clearly identifies Himself before commanding him to get up, go into the city, and await further instruction. As Paul got up, he had lost his ability to see, much to the surprise of the men who were traveling with them, men who were bewildered for they had no involvement in the altercation except as bystanders. Imagine the confusion these men must have felt as they helped Saul to his feet and helped lead him the rest of the way into Damascus.

Three days later, Saul received a visit from a man named Ananias, a man that Jesus had summoned. Here’s what we learn about that exchange in Acts 9:

In Damascus there was a disciple named Ananias. The Lord called to him in a vision, “Ananias!”

“Yes, Lord,” he answered.

The Lord told him, “Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight.”

“Lord,” Ananias answered, “I have heard many reports about this man and all the harm he has done to Your holy people in Jerusalem. And he has come here with authority from the chief priests to arrest all who call on Your name.”

But the Lord said to Ananias, “Go! This man is my chosen instrument to proclaim My name to the Gentiles and their kings and to the people of Israel. I will show him how much he must suffer for My name.” Vv. 10-16

I find it totally ironic and wonderful that Jesus would put the restoration of Saul’s sight in the hands of someone he was actually coming to persecute. For we learn that Ananias was a disciple of Jesus who definitely knew who Saul was. The reputation of the persecutor who hailed from Tarsus proceeded him.

But note what Jesus said in response to Ananias’ concerns, a reply that had to amaze the Damascus disciple.

“Go! This man is my chosen instrument to proclaim My name to the Gentiles and their kings and to the people of Israel. I will show him how much he must suffer for My name.”

The message was clear. Jesus was about to make an example out of Saul, an example that would enhance the Great Commission call to make disciples of all nations. Saul, who would be better known as Saul during his missionary journeys, would proclaim the name of Jesus to the Jews (the people of Israel) and Gentiles alike. And while he did, Jesus would show him what persecution looked like on the receiving end.

Well, Ananias did as Jesus commanded and said this to Saul as he laid hands on him:

“Brother Saul, the Lord—Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you were coming here—has sent me so that you may see again and be filled with the Holy Spirit.” Acts 9:17

And with that, “something like scales fell from Saul’s eyes, and he could see again”. The scriptures tell us that “he got up and was baptized” before eating so he could regain his strength after three days of fasting while he was blind (Vv. 18-19).

With his physical strength renewed and his spiritual self born again in Christ, Saul “spent several days with the disciples in Damascus”, preaching in the synagogues that Jesus was the Son of God. This astonished those who heard him as the converted persecutor revealed his new mission and calling. We read in Acts 9 that Saul “grew more and more powerful and baffled the Jews living in Damascus by proving that Jesus is the Messiah” (Vv. 20-22).

Going back to our passage from 1 Timothy, Paul summarizes well how Jesus made an example out of him for the cause of the Gospel. For Jesus took a sinful man, self proclaimed to be “the worst of sinners” and showed that anyone could be saved through mercy and grace if they would simply “believe in Him and receive eternal life”.

Friends, there are countless people today who feel they have disqualified themselves from salvation by way of the things they have done in life. Through Paul’s life story, we can share the good news that Jesus saves the worst of transgressors and use the example he made out of the Apostle to affirm that truth that “deserves full acceptance”.

Amen.

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Feel free to leave a comment and please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it. Send any prayer requests to TheChristianWalkPrayers@gmail.com.

No comments: