Thursday, May 26, 2016

REASSURING COMFORT



Can I pray for you in any way? Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk@aol.com.

In Christ, Mark
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
** Follow The Christian Walk on Twitter @ThChristianWalk
** Like posts and send friend requests to the author of The Christian Walk, Mark Cummings on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/mark.cummings.733?ref=tn_tnmn
** Become a Follower of The Christian Walk at http://the-christian-walk.blogspot.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The scriptures. May God bless the reading of His holy word.

What I see brings grief to my soul because of all the women of my city. Those who were my enemies without cause hunted me like a bird. They tried to end my life in a pit and threw stones at me; the waters closed over my head, and I thought I was about to perish.”

“I called on Your name, Lord, from the depths of the pit. You heard my plea: “Do not close your ears to my cry for relief.” You came near when I called You, and You said, ‘Do not fear.’”

Lamentations 3:51-57

This ends today’s reading from God's holy word. Thanks be to God.

Yesterday, we saw the unrivaled sorrow and sadness that comes when God’s people are in the midst of His judgment. It was a sorrow and sadness that resulted in a flow of unceasing tears.

Where can one find peace and comfort when in the center of such distress or any distress for that matter?

As we see in today’s scripture passage, that peace and comfort only comes from the Lord. Look again at these verses:

What I see brings grief to my soul because of all the women of my city. Those who were my enemies without cause hunted me like a bird. They tried to end my life in a pit and threw stones at me; the waters closed over my head, and I thought I was about to perish.”

“I called on Your name, Lord, from the depths of the pit. You heard my plea: “Do not close your ears to my cry for relief.” You came near when I called You, and You said, ‘Do not fear.’”  Lamentations 3:51-57

As this excerpt from Lamentations 3 begins, we are reminded of the deep grief the speaker is feeling as they lament and mourn over what they have gone through.

Their enemies had hunted them down like they were common birds, trying to stone the speaker to death. In the presence of such peril, they thought they were sure to perish.

Maybe you have felt the same feeling of defeat when you have been in the middle of difficulties and hardship in life.

But look at what the speaker did when they were facing death. They didn’t just give up hope. Rather, they turned to the Lord in faith, calling on His name from the depths of the pit they were in.

And God heard their plea, a plea that He would not turn away from them in their deep time of need. He came near to the speaker when they called and had one very simple statement to make, a statement of reassuring comfort.

What was that statement?

Simply put, it was this:

“Do not fear.”

You see, there was no need for the speaker to be afraid because God was with them. He drew near when called upon and was there to protect and console, to rescue and save.

Friends, do a quick survey of the scriptures and you will find this reassurance from the Lord in many places.

He gave it to Abram as He made His covenant with him (Genesis 15:1).

He gave it to Abraham and Sarah’s slave, Hagar, who mothered Ishmael (Genesis 21:17).

He gave it to Isaac’s son, Israel (formerly Jacob) (Genesis 46:3).

He gave it to Moses (Exodus 14:3) and his predecessor in leading the Israelites, Joshua (Joshua 8:1).

He gave it to Gideon (Judges 6:23).

He gave it to Elijah (2 Kings 1:15).

And the list goes on and on and on, throughout all the generations of God’s people to where we are today. For no matter what we are going through in life, no matter how hard things might get, the Lord has the same words of reassuring comfort to share with us.

Friends, keep faith in the Lord who wants to say to you, “Do not fear for I, your God, am with you.”

Amen

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Feel free to leave a comment and please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it.

Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk@aol.com

No comments: