Saturday, November 14, 2015

FRUSTRATED



Can I pray for you in any way? Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk@aol.com.

In Christ, Mark
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
** Follow The Christian Walk on Twitter @ThChristianWalk
** Like posts and send friend requests to the author of The Christian Walk, Mark Cummings on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/mark.cummings.733?ref=tn_tnmn
** Become a Follower of The Christian Walk at http://the-christian-walk.blogspot.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The scriptures. May God bless the reading of His holy word.

“You deceived me, Lord, and I was deceived; you overpowered me and prevailed. I am ridiculed all day long; everyone mocks me. Whenever I speak, I cry out proclaiming violence and destruction. So the word of the Lord has brought me insult and reproach all day long. But if I say, ‘I will not mention His word or speak anymore in His name,’ His word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot. I hear many whispering, ‘Terror on every side! Denounce him! Let’s denounce him!’ All my friends are waiting for me to slip, saying, ‘Perhaps he will be deceived; then we will prevail over him and take our revenge on him.’”

Jeremiah 20:7-10

This ends today’s reading from God's holy word. Thanks be to God.

Have you ever felt frustrated?

I think we all have at one time or another.

At times, we may have outlets to voice our aggravations but if not, then those aggravations build and build until we find ourselves boiling over and needing to vent to someone.

As we look at our scripture passage today, we find the prophet Jeremiah at this juncture, frustrated over the challenges he was facing while being obedient to God’s calling, so much so that we see him venting on none other than God Himself. Look again at his words here:

“You deceived me, Lord, and I was deceived; you overpowered me and prevailed. I am ridiculed all day long; everyone mocks me. Whenever I speak, I cry out proclaiming violence and destruction. So the word of the Lord has brought me insult and reproach all day long. But if I say, ‘I will not mention His word or speak anymore in His name,’ His word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot. I hear many whispering, ‘Terror on every side! Denounce him! Let’s denounce him!’ All my friends are waiting for me to slip, saying, ‘Perhaps he will be deceived; then we will prevail over him and take our revenge on him.’” Jeremiah 20:7-10

Through Jeremiah baring his soul, we get a sense that he thought being a prophet would be easier than it really was. Maybe we would feel likewise because after all, God had called Jeremiah to be his messenger and I’m sure the prophet felt a great source of comfort knowing that God was on his side. Who wouldn’t?

Surely, if God was with Jeremiah, he would not face danger or harm, right?

Well, the prophet found out that boldly going forth to do what God called him to do was not without its hardships and hazards. Jeremiah voiced the following specifics through his words:

1. He was ridiculed and mocked by everyone, all day long.

Do you liked to be ridiculed?

I know I don’t, not even for a moment but Jeremiah testified that he was getting it from everybody, everywhere, at every time.

That would get very old, very fast – enough to leave anyone frustrated.

2. He was criticized because he brought the word of God to his fellow Israelites.

The message God gave Jeremiah to deliver was not sugar-coated. The Israelites had sinned by worshipping other gods and had refused to change their ways, even after being warned that judgment was looming. And so Jeremiah was told by God to let His people know that violence and destruction were looming in their future, a prediction that only led the people to rain down insults on Jeremiah, which was really akin to insulting God Himself since the prophet was only delivering His words as instructed.

3. He was convicted by guilt for considering staying silent.

Note that Jeremiah had contemplated not mentioning God’s word or to speak in His name again but he couldn’t hold it in. The scriptures tell us that the prophet had grown weary while attempting to muzzle a word that was in his heart and bones like fire. It was either speak it or allow it to consume him from the inside out.

4. He faced many who conspired and sought revenge against him.

As if it weren’t enough to be ridiculed, mocked, criticized, and insulted, we see where certain Israelites were conspiring against Jeremiah, denouncing him and watching his every move to wait for any error he might make, an error they would use against him in his ministry work. The prophet had to be always walking on eggshells and careful about all he did and said as he knowingly faced a vengeful people.

Yes, it was tough for a prophet in Old Testament times and it’s not any easier today as we are tasked by Jesus to go forth and make disciples and teaching them to obey all He commanded. Doing the work of Christ is not easy and, like the prophets of old, we often face ridicule, mockery, criticism, insult, conspiracy, and vengefulness – all which can take us to a place of feeling frustrated.

In those times, we can look back and remember Jeremiah and the feelings he had to endure while doing the work of God, remembering that in the end, God rewarded him for his enduring faithfulness while carrying out His will during difficult circumstances. We too will one day be crowned in glory and raised in power to live with God and Jesus forever, victorious over death and the grave through belief and trust in our Savior. In that day of reward, we will be free from sin, free from illness, free from suffering, free from hardship, and yes, even free from being frustrated.

I don’t know about you but I am so looking forward to that day but until then, there’s still much kingdom work to be done and I intend to do it in the name of Jesus with all my heart, mind, soul, and strength.

Amen.

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Feel free to leave a comment and please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it.

Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk@aol.com

No comments: