Monday, November 5, 2012

THE GOD OF ALL GENERATIONS

Can I pray for you in any way? Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk@aol.com.

In Christ, Mark

The scriptures. May God bless the reading of His holy word.

Since my youth, God, You have taught me, and to this day I declare Your marvelous deeds. Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, my God, till I declare Your power to the next generation, Your mighty acts to all who are to come.

Your righteousness, God, reaches to the heavens, You who have done great things. Who is like You, God? Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter, You will restore my life again; from the depths of the earth You will again bring me up. You will increase my honor and comfort me once more.

I will praise You with the harp for Your faithfulness, my God; I will sing praise to You with the lyre, Holy One of Israel. My lips will shout for joy when I sing praise to You — I whom You have delivered. My tongue will tell of Your righteous acts all day long, for those who wanted to harm me have been put to shame and confusion.

Psalm 71:17-24

This ends this reading from God's holy word. Thanks be to God.

My daughter posted a scripture passage on Facebook today and I felt so very blessed by it and her accompanying words. You see I invested a lot of my parenting efforts in trying to be a godly man for my daughters as they grew up, to show them how to live a life of Christian service and dedication so that they might one day carry on that legacy as they grow older and I one day am no more in this world.

And to make this all the more blessed today was the fact that I have three grandchildren through this daughter and I obviously would love to see them brought up with Christian values. To that end, my daughter and her husband recently started attending a church near where they live in Germany. This has uplifted my heart and spirit even more as my grandchildren are receiving knowledge about the Lord in their earliest years. Yet another generation is being instructed in the ways of God and His Son Jesus.

Isn’t this how Christianity and the ways of God have survived and existed since the dawn of Creation? For well more than 2,000 years now, people of faith have lived and served the Almighty Lord and His Son, their Savior, Christ Jesus. And until the day that Jesus returns, Christ will still be alive and well in the hearts and minds of those who place their faith and trust in Him, those who were brought up in the ways of the Lord in their youth and are in turn instructing their youth the same way, passing the torch of righteousness and holiness onto the next generation.

This concept of passing the teaching and testimony of God to the next generation was not lost on the psalmist as he penned the closing words to the 71st Psalm. Look again at what they wrote:

Since my youth, God, You have taught me, and to this day I declare Your marvelous deeds. Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, my God, till I declare Your power to the next generation, Your mighty acts to all who are to come.

Your righteousness, God, reaches to the heavens, You who have done great things. Who is like You, God? Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter, You will restore my life again; from the depths of the earth You will again bring me up. You will increase my honor and comfort me once more.

I will praise You with the harp for Your faithfulness, my God; I will sing praise to You with the lyre, Holy One of Israel. My lips will shout for joy when I sing praise to You — I whom You have delivered. My tongue will tell of Your righteous acts all day long, for those who wanted to harm me have been put to shame and confusion.

From youth, the writer had been taught by God to the present time as he drafted the psalm. The experience along that journey had left the psalmist in the spirit of praise as they wished to declare the marvelous deeds of God as well as His power to the next generation so that they might grow up with the knowledge of the mighty actions of the Lord. Indeed, those actions that had been would be repeated for the Lord has revealed His power and majesty to every generation that has ever lived. Each can conjure up examples of how God’s goodness, splendor, and might were on display. For God is never silent or hidden from sight. He is always openly working in the lives of His people.

Yes, God is always on display. His righteousness still reaches to the heavens. He still convicts, disciplines, restores, comforts, and loves. And He is still doing great things for this current generation, just as He has done for generations past and just as He will continue to do for future generations.

In response to this, people are still praising the Holy Name of the Lord Most High, the God who was, who is, and the God who is still yet to be. He is the God of all generations now and forever.

Amen.

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it.

Send any prayer requests to
ourchristianwalk@aol.com

No comments: