Wednesday, May 7, 2008

ORDERLY LIVING

Can I pray for you in any way? Send any prayer requests to faithhopegodlove@aol.com In Christ, Mark

"On the twentieth day of the second month of the second year, the cloud lifted from above the tabernacle of the Testimony. Then the Israelites set out from the Desert of Sinai and traveled from place to place until the cloud came to rest in the Desert of Paran. They set out, this first time, at the Lord's command through Moses. The divisions of the camp of Judah went first, under their standard. Nahshon son of Amminadab was in command. Nethanel son of Zuar was over the division of the tribe of Issachar, and Eliab son of Helon was over the division of the tribe of Zebulun. Then the tabernacle was taken down, and the Gershonites and Merarites, who carried it, set out. The divisions of the camp of Reuben went next, under their standard. Elizur son of Shedeur was in command. Shelumiel son of Zurishaddai was over the division of the tribe of Simeon, and Eliasaph son of Deuel was over the division of the tribe of Gad. Then the Kohathites set out, carrying the holy things. The tabernacle was to be set up before they arrived. The divisions of the camp of Ephraim went next, under their standard. Elishama son of Ammihud was in command. Gamaliel son of Pedahzur was over the division of the tribe of Manasseh, and Abidan son of Gideoni was over the division of the tribe of Benjamin. Finally, as the rear guard for all the units, the divisions of the camp of Dan set out, under their standard. Ahiezer son of Ammishaddai was in command. Pagiel son of Ocran was over the division of the tribe of Asher, and Ahira son of Enan was over the division of the tribe of Naphtali. This was the order of march for the Israelite divisions as they set out.

So they set out from the mountain of the Lord and traveled for three days. The ark of the covenant of the Lord went before them during those three days to find them a place to rest. The cloud of the Lord was over them by day when they set out from the camp. Whenever the ark set out, Moses said, "Rise up, O Lord! May your enemies be scattered; may your foes flee before you." Whenever it came to rest, he said, "Return, O Lord, to the countless thousands of Israel." Numbers 10:11-28, 33-36

The Israelite people had been stationed near Mount Sinai for eleven months during which time they had received much instruction from God as well as showed their sinful nature. They had seen His glory but also His wrath. Through it all, the Lord was preparing them for what was to come. For their future and His plans for them didn’t involve staying parked in one place. No, God had a purpose for them and to accomplish that plan, they needed to finally move out. Chapters 9 and 10 discussed the signals and signs that would come so that the people would know when to set out or stay. Whether it was by means of a cloud or a trumpet blast, the people had been indoctrinated in what to do when they were supposed to do it. At the end of Chapter 10 and our scripture today, we see where Israel finally moves out.

The passage from Numbers tells us that Israel "set out, this first time, at the Lord's command through Moses" on the "twentieth day of the second month of the second year". We also read where "the cloud lifted from above the tabernacle of the Testimony" which was the visual signal that Israel was to set out. Where did they go? Well, scripture tells us that the Israelites "set out from the Desert of Sinai and traveled from place to place until the cloud came to rest in the Desert of Paran". But they didn’t set out haphazardly. No…we don’t serve a haphazard God but a God who orders all things. The people of Israel were to move out in a certain order and a good portion of our verses today document the order that the people of Israel lined up to march. It went as follows:

"Judah went first (included tribes of Issachar and Zebulun)"
Then "the tabernacle was taken down, and the Gershonites and Merarites, who carried it, set out"
They were followed by "the divisions of the camp of Reuben" (included tribes of Simeon and Gad)
"Then the Kohathites set out, carrying the holy things"
They were followed by "the divisions of the camp of Ephraim" (included tribes of Manasseh and Benjamin)
"Finally, as the rear guard for all the units, the divisions of the camp of Dan set out" (included tribes of Asher and Naphtali)

So all twelve tribes had their appointed places as they "set out from the mountain of the Lord and traveled for three days" with the "ark of the covenant of the Lord" before them "to find them a place to rest". Disorganized and disorderly upon leaving Egypt as they sojourned to Mount Sinai, now Israel was fully organized and orderly…ready for God to lead them to the Promised Land.

Can you relate to this? Can you remember your life before the Lord entered in and took control?

I know I can. I thought I had it all together…or at least the world had me believing I had it all together. The truth of the matter was that I was totally out of order…disjointed and astray from where the Lord wanted me to be. I was marching through life using my road map which was like traveling without any map when compared to God’s divine navigation which had a course already set for me. I just needed to discover it and follow it.

When I decided to let go and let God have my life…when I truly decided to die to self so that Christ could live within me…it was then and only then that my life had direction, focus and meaning. Truly, I was lost but the Lord found me and placed me on His path…the path of righteousness. It is as scripture states, a narrow path, but narrow paths are easy to stay on when you have the right guide. And the Lord is the Perfect Guide for all of us…for as long as we live.

My prayer is that we can share in the words of the Psalmist who wrote:

"Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure.

The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance.

I will praise the Lord, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me.

I have set the Lord always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.

Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure, because you will not abandon me to the grave, nor will you let your Holy One see decay.

You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand."

Psalm 16:5-11

Question: Are you lacking direction and order in your life? Do you feel lost and astray?

If so, all that can change right now. Come before the Lord and ask Him to take the wheel of your life, driving you where he wants you to go to show you what He wants you to do. There is no doubt in course when it comes to God…there was no doubt back in the days of the Israelites and there is no doubt today. Thanks be to God for His gift of direction. Through Him, we need never be lost again. Amen.

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it.

http://www.faithhopeandlove.info/

Send any prayer requests to faithhopegodlove@aol.com

No comments: