Friday, May 30, 2008

GOD KEEPS HIS PROMISES

Can I pray for you in any way? Send any prayer requests to faithhopegodlove@aol.com In Christ, Mark

The scriptures. May God bless the reading of His holy word.

The whole Israelite community set out from Kadesh and came to Mount Hor. At Mount Hor, near the border of Edom, the Lord said to Moses and Aaron, "Aaron will be gathered to his people. He will not enter the land I give the Israelites, because both of you rebelled against my command at the waters of Meribah. Get Aaron and his son Eleazar and take them up Mount Hor. Remove Aaron's garments and put them on his son Eleazar, for Aaron will be gathered to his people; he will die there."

Moses did as the Lord commanded: They went up Mount Hor in the sight of the whole community. Moses removed Aaron's garments and put them on his son Eleazar. And Aaron died there on top of the mountain. Then Moses and Eleazar came down from the mountain, and when the whole community learned that Aaron had died, the entire house of Israel mourned for him thirty days.
Numbers 20:22-29

This ends this reading from God’s holy word. Thanks be to God.

But the Lord said to Moses and Aaron, "Because you did not trust in me enough to honor me as holy in the sight of the Israelites, you will not bring this community into the land I give them." Numbers 20:12

God’s words from earlier in this chapter resonate as we read the closing verses. God had passed judgment on Moses and Aaron for their sinfulness when they took credit for bringing water from the rock at Meribah, an act clearly resulting from God’s almighty, miraculous power and that alone.
So as Israel turns away from Kadesh after being denied entry by the king of Edom, we read that they come to Mount Hor. It is here that Aaron’s life ends and his son Eleazar assumes the duty of high priest.

Scripture tells us that God commanded Moses to take Aaron and Eleazar to the top of Mount Hor where the priestly duties would be inherited by Eleazar from Aaron in the presence of the Israelite community. Moses was to remove the special garments identifying Aaron as God’s spiritual leader in the tabernacle and put them on Eleazar after which Aaron would die on the mountain. The Lord also reaffirms why this is happening, referring back to the rebellion of Moses and Aaron "at the waters of Meribah".

Consider how difficult this must have been for Moses. He had to go to the mountain and transfer authority knowing that as soon as the act was finished, so too would be his brother Aaron. He had already lost Miriam (see at the beginning of Chapter 20) and Moses had to be thinking about his own punishment as well. God was making good on His promise that Aaron wouldn’t enter Canaan. Moses knew the same promise had been given him. "When and where will God choose to end my life as well?" I can’t help but think Moses was contemplating this very thing as he prepared to carry out God’s will. I know I would.

So Moses, still obedient in service to God despite knowing his fate had been sealed just as Aaron’s, "did as the Lord commanded" and took Aaron and Eleazar up onto Mount Hor "in the sight of the whole community". Moses "removed Aaron's garments and put them on his son Eleazar" after which "Aaron died…on top of the mountain." We get the sense that the people had not realized all that had just happened. Why was Moses undressing Aaron and placing the priestly garments on Eleazar? It wasn’t until Moses and Eleazar came down from the mount that the people learned the fate of Aaron and we read that the "entire house of Israel mourned for him thirty days." One of their beloved leaders…the first high priest of the tabernacle…was dead.

As we read this passage we’re reminded of two important things about God:

1. He keeps His promises. He told Aaron he would not make it into Canaan and he didn’t.

2. He always makes sure His work continues, especially when it comes to the ministry. Aaron was soon to be gone but tabernacle leadership was still needed. So before Aaron passed, God ensured the high priest responsibilities would be carried on by appointing Eleazar to assume duties. He was fully aware of the requirements and was more than qualified to take over from his father.

As we walk through life and its challenges, we need to ever cling to the promises of God. For He has given us all wonderful assurances through His word…assurances we should never forget. He has also given us equally wonderful warnings in what He expects from us. We need not wonder what God wants us to do. He clearly tells us and demands our obedience. Failing to do so can carry severe consequences as we’re reminded in our Old Testament studies. All and all, there isn’t anything that God expects from us that He hasn’t told us about in advance. There are no surprises…only promises. And what a comfort it is to know fully what He wants. We need only concentrate on fulfilling His desires…and there isn’t any better joy in life than living fully for Him. To that end, I pray we’ll be able to echo the words of David as he wrote in the 16th Psalm:

"Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. I will praise the Lord, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. I have set the Lord always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure, because you will not abandon me to the grave, nor will you let your Holy One see decay. You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand." Psalm 16:5-11

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it.

http://www.faithhopeandlove.info/

Send any prayer requests to faithhopegodlove@aol.com

No comments: