Tuesday, September 3, 2024

THE ONLY SURE CONFIDENCE

Can I pray for you in any way?

Send any prayer requests to TheChristianWalkPrayers@gmail.com.
.
In Christ, Mark

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

** Like posts and send friend requests to the author of The Christian Walk, Mark Cummings on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/mark.cummings.733?ref=tn_tnmn

** Become a Follower of The Christian Walk at http://the-christian-walk.blogspot.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The scriptures. May God bless the reading of His holy word.

And now, dear children, continue in Him, so that when He appears we may be confident and unashamed before Him at His coming.

1 John 2:28

This ends this reading from God's holy word. Thanks be to God.

I’m starting a new job today and although this isn’t the first time, I have to admit that I’m a little nervous. Maybe you’ve been there.

Now this isn’t my first rodeo as I can count nine jobs I’ve held across nearly 65 years of living, one of which spanned almost 30 years. Given this and the experience I have accumulated, you would think I would enter a new opportunity with supreme confidence but the reality of things is that none of us are perfect and neither is any job. For if every place we worked and the people there were without fault, including ourselves, then we would enter into employment with an organization and remain there for the entirety of our working years. We know it’s not like that, for sure.

And so, yes, I’m somewhat anxious over starting a new work opportunity...again...and this anxiety brings a lot of questions into a person’s head.

Am I going to be successful in what I’m asked to do?

Will my employer be supportive and fair in the way they conduct business and treat their employees?

Will my co-workers be good teammates, ones that can be trusted and professional in the way they carry themselves in the workplace?

Indeed, there are lots of unknowns that will be known as I grow into my position but those unknowns play a role in me being less than fully confident as I begin.

Thankfully, we have a certainty in life that we can always tether ourselves to when we are in these situations where we seem off balance and unsure of what the future might hold. That certainty is in our Lord Jesus Christ who remains the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow as the scriptures proclaim (Hebrews 13:8). Because of belief in Him, I, and every other person who has placed their trust in Him, gain an automatic, supreme confidence of salvation that no one can take away, even our enemy, Satan.

Jesus, our Savior, has promised He is coming back for all His disciples to take them to where He is now, to Heaven where He has prepared a place for them (John 14:1-3). And given that He has never sinned, He has never lied. All of His promises are perfectly true and therefore the future of every single Christian believer is secure.

No matter what uncertainty this life might bring, a Christian can be boldly confident in this.

Now, with this as a foundation, let’s look at our verse, the penultimate verse of 1 John, chapter 2. There we read the following:

And now, dear children, continue in Him, so that when He appears we may be confident and unashamed before Him at His coming. v.28

There can be no dispute that life is full of unpredictabilities. We have no idea what any one day is going to hold for us, let alone the weeks, months, and years ahead. It can be enough to unsettle even the strongest person but here’s the thing. We don’t have to give into fear or stress or worry, not when we have the Lord with us, within us, and for us.

My brothers and sisters in Christ, He is coming back for us. This is a fact. And so let us appear confident when He does and until that happens, stand firm while continuing to live in and through Him, no matter what happens in this life.

Through Jesus, it’s always going to be okay and as I start my new job today, it’s what dispels my jitters and replaces them with positivity and hope.

Amen.

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Feel free to leave a comment and please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it. Send any prayer requests to TheChristianWalkPrayers@gmail.com.

No comments: