Tuesday, June 25, 2013

THE CONSEQUENCES OF FORSAKING



Can I pray for you in any way? Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk.com. 

In Christ, Mark

The scriptures. May God bless the reading of His holy word.

“As for you, if you walk before me faithfully as David your father did, and do all I command, and observe my decrees and laws, I will establish your royal throne, as I covenanted with David your father when I said, ‘You shall never fail to have a successor to rule over Israel.’”

“But if you turn away and forsake the decrees and commands I have given you and go off to serve other gods and worship them, then I will uproot Israel from my land, which I have given them, and will reject this temple I have consecrated for my Name. I will make it a byword and an object of ridicule among all peoples. This temple will become a heap of rubble. All who pass by will be appalled and say, ‘Why has the Lord done such a thing to this land and to this temple?’”

People will answer, “Because they have forsaken the Lord, the God of their ancestors, who brought them out of Egypt, and have embraced other gods, worshiping and serving them—that is why He brought all this disaster on them.”

2 Chronicles 7:17-22

This ends this reading from God's holy word. Thanks be to God.

Have you ever been forsaken in your life? Has anyone either abandoned or given up on you before?

I know I’ve been there.

It’s a terribly lonely place to be, a place where those who you relied and counted on, sometimes those you trusted, have turned from you and left you by yourself. Often times, this abandoning happened when someone found something or someone better and chose to leave one pursuit for another.

This happens in our worldly relationships all the time.

Committed relationships fall apart when one partner forsakes their mate and leaves them for another.

Within families, people are often exiled and excommunicated, forsaken by those who are related to them.

Many times, the elderly are placed in nursing homes when they can no longer care for themselves, left alone there by family to spend their final times in life.  

And many children today are abandoned after birth, their parents not willing to be faithful to their parental responsibilities and obligations. Every two seconds, a child is abandoned in our world today and this is simply inexcusable.

One thing is for sure, there is more than enough forsaking going on in our world today, maybe because we have forsaken the most important thing in life.

We have forsaken God.

The people of Israel had done this as well, not just once but many times. And each time, God had proven that He would not stand for it. As He finished speaking with Solomon at the end of 2 Chronicles, Chapter 7, we find God reminding him (and us as well) that there are consequences accompanied with forsaking Him. Look again at the words of God:

“As for you, if you walk before me faithfully as David your father did, and do all I command, and observe my decrees and laws, I will establish your royal throne, as I covenanted with David your father when I said, ‘You shall never fail to have a successor to rule over Israel.’”

“But if you turn away and forsake the decrees and commands I have given you and go off to serve other gods and worship them, then I will uproot Israel from my land, which I have given them, and will reject this temple I have consecrated for my Name. I will make it a byword and an object of ridicule among all peoples. This temple will become a heap of rubble. All who pass by will be appalled and say, ‘Why has the Lord done such a thing to this land and to this temple?’”

People will answer, “Because they have forsaken the Lord, the God of their ancestors, who brought them out of Egypt, and have embraced other gods, worshiping and serving them—that is why He brought all this disaster on them.”

Note the stark contrast here.

If we do what God commands – faithful and obedient to His word, will, and way – then we will find ourselves in His favor and He will use us for great purposes.

But if we choose to abandon God and turn from Him to worship the things of the world (the world’s gods), the outcome is quite different, isn’t it? For if we turn away from God, then we can expect Him to turn His favor away from us leaving us in the midst of consequences such as rejection, destruction, and ruin.

In the case of Israel, they would be uprooted from their land and taken off into exile. And the temple they worked so hard to construct would be leveled into rubble by the God they had once worshipped but then forsaken.

Unfortunately, this was a prophecy that would come true as the Israelites would abandon God and suffer His consequences for it, hauled off to Babylon for seventy years while Jerusalem and the temple would be destroyed and left in ruin.

God would send a message to Israel, those who witnessed the destruction, and to us today.
The message was simply this: “I will not tolerate being forsaken.””

Friends, we would be well served to pay close attention to this word of God this morning. For we have seen plenty of examples where people who seemingly had everything going for them, suddenly find themselves in ruin, having lost it all whether it be money, popularity, or prestige. Think about this: What empire has ever remained in power when it did not have the favor of God? Look in the scriptures and I know you won’t find one. The Egyptians fell. Ditto for the Assyrians, the Babylonians, the Persians, and the Romans.

God’s word is clear. Abandon Him and you will suffer the consequences.

I don’t know about you but it’s far easier and beneficial to live for the Lord each and every day, remaining as dedicated to Him as He is to us. When we do, we’ll always be in the midst of His mercy and grace and love, ever comforted and guided by His Spirit to making a difference in the lives of others as He leads us to live righteously.

This is the life God favors. He will not forsake those who do not forsake Him.

Amen.

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it.

Send any prayer requests to OurChristianWalk@aol.com

No comments: