Friday, June 13, 2008

STRENGTH FOR VICTORY

Can I pray for you in any way? Send any prayer requests to faithhopegodlove@aol.com In Christ, Mark

The scriptures. May God bless the reading of His holy word.

Now I am going back to my people, but come, let me warn you of what this people will do to your people in days to come."

Then he uttered his oracle:

"The oracle of Balaam son of Beor, the oracle of one whose eye sees clearly, the oracle of one who hears the words of God, who has knowledge from the Most High, who sees a vision from the Almighty, who falls prostrate, and whose eyes are opened:

"I see him, but not now; I behold him, but not near.

A star will come out of Jacob; a scepter will rise out of Israel. He will crush the foreheads of Moab, the skulls of all the sons of Sheth. Edom will be conquered; Seir, his enemy, will be conquered, but Israel will grow strong. A ruler will come out of Jacob and destroy the survivors of the city."

Then Balaam saw Amalek and uttered his oracle:

"Amalek was first among the nations, but he will come to ruin at last."

Then he saw the Kenites and uttered his oracle:

"Your dwelling place is secure, your nest is set in a rock; yet you Kenites will be destroyed when Asshur takes you captive."

Then he uttered his oracle:

"Ah, who can live when God does this? Ships will come from the shores of Kittim; they will subdue Asshur and Eber, but they too will come to ruin."

Then Balaam got up and returned home and Balak went his own way.

Numbers 24:14-25

This ends this reading from God's holy word. Thanks be to God.

"May those who bless you be blessed and those who curse you be cursed!" Numbers 24:9

These words of God were a promise that would come true over and over when we examine the history of Israel. As Balaam delivers his final four oracles before leaving Balak, he tells some of what is about to come for those who would decide to oppose Israel…and in doing so God..."in the days to come". And of special interest in this passage is that the days to come don’t only include the times ahead when King David, Saul, Hezekiah and others will triumph over enemies but also the days when a Messiah will be born through which final victory will be won forever. For Balaam tells us a "star will come out of Jacob" and a "scepter will rise out of Israel". He can "see him, but not now…behold him, but not near" but what is clear are the victories that will arise out of the star, a word that often was used to reference a king.

Balaam goes onto mention the fate of those who would soon oppose Israel…some for the first time while others would be familiar foes to Israel.

First up was Edom. You’ll recall from Numbers, chapter 20, that Israel had wanted to cross through Edom but was not granted permission. In fact, the king of Edom was so disturbed by Israel’s size that he sent his army to the border to send a message that Israel wasn’t welcome. Unlike future opposing groups who Israel would battle against and defeat, Edom was left alone.

In Balaam’s oracle, this wouldn’t last for scripture tells us that the coming star will "crush…the skulls of all the sons of Sheth" and "Edom will be conquered; Seir (another word for Edom), his enemy, will be conquered".

But Edom wasn’t the only kingdom that would be crushed for Balak had to truly be disturbed at what Balaam also said…that the star would also "crush the foreheads of Moab". Indeed, the very nation that Balak feared and thus wanted cursed would have victory over him and his people.

The next vision came against Amalek. You’ll recall that the Amalekites were the first group that attacked Israel after they had departed Egypt on their exodus (Exodus 17). They didn’t gain victory then and they wouldn’t in the future either. Balaam predicted that "Amalek…will come to ruin at last" and they did at the hands of Israel led by Kings David and Saul.

Next up were the Kenites who although seemingly sheltered ("Your dwelling place is secure, your nest is set in a rock") would be destroyed not by Israel but rather Assyria ("Asshur") who would take them captive.

Finally, Balaam shares the seventh oracle which extends beyond the immediate boundaries of Canaan. Here, we read that "ships will come from the shores of Kittim (Cyprus and also referring to Rome). These forces will subdue Assyria, a mighty power who will later attack and capture Israel’s northern kingdom, and Eber, western Semites descended from Eber (Genesis 10) who settled in Canaan, but even these victories would not establish them as all powerful for "they too will come to ruin". Ultimately, it’s God who has full victory.

Through Balaam’s last four oracles, we see a common theme and one we need always remember as we walk through our lives and face opposition, especially against our faith. Balaam said early on in this passage that as the enemies of Israel were weakened or destroyed, Israel became stronger (verse 18). And so it will be for us is we stay firm in our belief and trust in the Lord, no matter the circumstances or challenges. Through it all, God is there to lead us, guide us, protect us, strengthen us and ultimately grant us victory over whatever this world wants to bring our way. Consider these wonderful words from the Psalms:

"The Lord is my light and my salvation—whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid?…Teach me your way, O Lord; lead me in a straight path because of my oppressors. Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes, for false witnesses rise up against me, breathing out violence. I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." Psalm 27:1, 11-14

"The salvation of the righteous comes from the Lord; he is their stronghold in time of trouble. The Lord helps them and delivers them; he delivers them from the wicked and saves them, because they take refuge in him." Psalm 37:39-40

"From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe. I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings." Psalm 61:2-4

"I love you, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call to the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies." Psalm 18:1-3

Indeed, as Balaam states, "Ah, who can live when God does this?" (verse 23). The answer is those who believe and trust in the Father and His Son who not only brings us strength for victory now but forever more…long after this life ends. Amen.

In Christ,

Mark

PS: Please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it.

http://www.faithhopeandlove.info/

Send any prayer requests to faithhopegodlove@aol.com

No comments: