Friday, January 25, 2008

HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER

Can I pray for you in any way? Send any prayer requests to faithhopegodlove@aol.com In Christ, Mark

"Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you." Exodus 20:12

The first four of God’s Ten Commandments deal with how we are to relate to God. The next six instruct us on how we are to act toward one another. As we can see in verse 12, the fifth commandment is centered on the matter of honor and, in this case, specifically honoring your father and mother.

For as far back as I can remember, I was taught to respect my father and mother. I was blessed to have wonderful parents who raised a little western Pennsylvania baby through childhood, into adolescence and finally into adulthood. Throughout those formative years, my parents expended every ounce of their energy to teach me the difference between right and wrong as well as obedience to their rules and expectations. I learned quickly that as long as I did what I was supposed to do, life was good. But if I got out of line…well…maybe it’s best to not get into that. Just trust me when I say that I discovered it was better to be obedient.

As I grew older and into adulthood, I realized that the way I acted in life was a direct reflection on my parents and I was driven toward always ensuring I didn’t discredit them in any way. I had and will always have the utmost respect for them and have always felt that I can best show my respect by becoming the best that I can be. Through the Lord’s work in my life, another of the foundations laid down by my parents, I feel like I’m succeeding in reaching that goal.
Actually, true respect to your father and mother is a by-product of the respect you first develop for your heavenly Father, the very One who placed you into the care of your parents in the first place. If you don’t respect the Lord, you won’t respect others either. Nor will you respect yourself.

And what reward awaits those who honor, not only God above, but their parents as well? God’s word tells us it’s so we "may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you." In the case of Israel, this was Canaan. In the case of modern day believers like us, the place we reside is the place and space that the Lord has given us…and we should rejoice and be glad in it.
Truly, we can never do enough in the way of honoring our parents. God commands it and they deserve it. Where do you stand?
In Christ,

Mark

PS: Please share this with anyone you feel might be blessed by it.

http://www.faithhopeandlove.info/

Send any prayer requests to faithhopegodlove@aol.com

No comments: